Betio Tarawa USMC Sherman

  • Matt Holly
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 6, 2008
      Hey guys, here is the photo of the only USMC Sherman visable at Betio, Tarawa, Gilbert Islands taken early 2008.  Matt Holly

    • Jonathan Stevens
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 6, 2008
        Matt,

        Your picture did not come through. By the way, rumor has it that a Chinese scrap metal dealer attempted to remove this tank recently but failed fortunately.

        Jon
        http://tarawaontheweb.org

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 6, 2008
          Your rumor is correct.  They dug around the tank, but hell, it is a 32 ton tank!!  Since the price of scrap steel dropped to 50 a ton IN AUSTRALIA, and it costs about 50 a ton to ship it there, I dont think the Betio Sherman will move soon.
          Matt  Photo credit to Stan Gadja, Ponape

        • BSteinIPMS@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 7, 2008
            The reason the photo didn't come through is that yahoogroups software routinely strips off all attachments. Your best bet is to post the photo in a folder on the G104 group.

            --Bob

            Your rumor is correct.? They dug around the tank, but hell, it is a 32 ton tank!!? Since the price of scrap steel dropped to 50 a ton IN AUSTRALIA, and it costs about 50 a ton to ship it there, I dont think the Betio Sherman will move soon.
            Matt? Photo credit to Stan Gadja, Ponape?

            Your picture did not come through. By the way, rumor has it that a Chinese scrap metal dealer attempted to remove this tank recently but failed fortunately.

            Jon
            http://tarawaonthew eb.org

            >>> Matt Holly <matthollymarshalls@ yahoo.com> 11/6/2008 7:23 PM >>>
            Hey guys, here is the photo of the only USMC Sherman visable at Betio, Tarawa, Gilbert Islands taken early 2008. Matt Holly

          • fons
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 11, 2008
              is the picture of this sherman posted somewhere?
              gerards
              fons

              -

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 11, 2008
                > -- In G104@yahoogroups.com, BSteinIPMS@ wrote:
                > The reason the photo didn't come through is that yahoogroups
                > software routinely strips off all attachments. Your best bet is to
                > post the photo in a folder on the G104 group.

                Due to the current settings of this mailing list, all attached
                photos are stripped from e-mails sent in by the list members. This
                was done initially to save download time. However, with the
                bandwidth increases this feature could be turned off. Therefore I
                would like to investige for how many members it would pose a problem
                to have all e-mail delivered with attachments.
                Thanks for your time in participating in this poll!

                Best regards,
                Hanno Spoelstra
                G104 mailing list owner and moderator
              • John Shimek
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 11, 2008
                  Hanno,

                  The link to the poll doesn't seem to work for me. This is what I get when I click on the poll:

                  [Polls

                  Polls Help

                  You are not a moderator of the group G104.]

                  Be that as it may, I would like to see the pictures attached in messages from the members.
                  Thanks,

                  John

                  Please go to http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/G104/ polls and vote:

                  Due to the current settings of this mailing list, all attached
                  photos are stripped from e-mails sent in by the list members. This
                  was done initially to save download time. However, with the
                  bandwidth increases this feature could be turned off. Therefore I
                  would like to investige for how many members it would pose a problem
                  to have all e-mail delivered with attachments.
                  Thanks for your time in participating in this poll!

                  Best regards,
                  Hanno Spoelstra
                  G104 mailing list owner and moderator

                • fons paulussen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 11, 2008
                    i get the same message on the poll link.
                    but i also would like to get the pictures with the email.
                    regards
                    fons

                  • spideytank@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 11, 2008
                      I'd like to see the attachments.

                      Please go to _http://groups.http://grohttp://grouhttp:_

                      Due to the current settings of this mailing list, all attached
                      photos are stripped from e-mails sent in by the list members. This
                      was done initially to save download time. However, with the
                      bandwidth increases this feature could be turned off. Therefore I
                      would like to investige for how many members it would pose a problem
                      to have all e-mail delivered with attachments.
                      Thanks for your time in participating in this poll!

                      Best regards,
                      Hanno Spoelstra
                      G104 mailing list owner and moderator

                      Holiday needs. Search Now.
                      -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

                    • Michel van Best
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 11, 2008
                        The poll doesn't work, but i agree on allowing attachments.

                        Regards,
                        Michel

                        _____

                        > The reason the photo didn't come through is that yahoogroups
                        > software routinely strips off all attachments. Your best bet is to
                        > post the photo in a folder on the G104 group.

                        yahoo.com/group/G104/polls and vote:

                        Due to the current settings of this mailing list, all attached
                        photos are stripped from e-mails sent in by the list members. This
                        was done initially to save download time. However, with the
                        bandwidth increases this feature could be turned off. Therefore I
                        would like to investige for how many members it would pose a problem
                        to have all e-mail delivered with attachments.
                        Thanks for your time in participating in this poll!

                        Best regards,
                        Hanno Spoelstra
                        G104 mailing list owner and moderator

                      • Michael Canaday
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 11, 2008
                          Moi aussi

                          Mike Canaday

                          On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Michel van Best <
                          Michel.van.Best.List@...> wrote:

                          > The poll doesn't work, but i agree on allowing attachments.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Michel
                          >
                          > _____

                        • Susan Cousens
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 11, 2008
                            Not working for me either but OK by me.

                            ________________________________
                            Michel.van.Best. List@gmail. com> wrote:

                            > The poll doesn't work, but i agree on allowing attachments.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Michel
                            >
                            > _____

                          • Dirk Lombard
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 11, 2008
                              pics would be great

                              On 12/11/2008, Susan Cousens <bob7bob78@...> wrote:
                              > Not working for me either but OK by me.
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • CHARLES RAY
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 11, 2008
                                Since I get every posting as an e-mail in my inbox, I like the idea of posting the tank pics in a folder on the web site rather than sending them along with the text.  For me they are easier to look at through the "slide show" when they are posted in a photo album.  I frequently go to the Photo Section on G104 and browse through the photo albums...but seldom go back through hundreds of postings looking for photos.
                                Billy Ray

                              • Pete Allton
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 12, 2008
                                  Allowing attachments will let anyone send a virus to the group.

                                  Pete

                                • Ray Merriam
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 12, 2008
                                    I rarely check the photos on the web site, so prefer the email attachments.
                                    To the other member who commented about possible virus infection, I get a
                                    hundred or more email messages a day, many with attachments, and probably a
                                    fourth are spam or potential "problems". But I don't download anything until
                                    I have examined the messages. I use Mailwasher (and have for several years),
                                    a program that when you open it, goes to your inbox at your ISP (it can
                                    check multiple inboxes at different locations at the same time). It then
                                    downloads a lot of info about the messages, such as sender, recipient (this
                                    can be helpful in determining if a message is legit), date/time sent, if
                                    there is an attachment (and how big), even the size of the email itself,
                                    among many other things, as well as being able to view any text in the
                                    message--without having to actually download the email and thus it is safe
                                    to view the actual message without fear of being hit by a "nasty". No HTML
                                    or other coded material in the message is downloaded when examining the text
                                    of a message (unlike Outlook Express's viewer where you can get hit by a
                                    nasty just by viewing the contents).

                                    I also have good anti-virus and anti-spam protection running all the time
                                    and they are set up to alert me whenever a new virus/spam definition file is
                                    available so I can download/install it--and hardly a day goes by that they
                                    don't have a new definition file. But nothing beats plain common sense and
                                    knowing the warning signs of a bad email (just last night I saw the "A
                                    friend has sent you a Hallmark e-card" message in my inbox and deleted that,
                                    as that is a major virus bomb).

                                    Sincerely,

                                    Ray Merriam
                                    Owner
                                    Merriam Press
                                    133 Elm St Apt 3R
                                    Bennington VT 05201-2250 USA

                                    Phone: 802-447-0313
                                    E-mail: ray@... or merriampress@...
                                    Web site: http://www.merriam-press.com

                                    Since I get every posting as an e-mail in my inbox, I like the idea of
                                    posting the tank pics in a folder on the web site rather than sending them
                                    along with the text. For me they are easier to look at through the "slide
                                    show" when they are posted in a photo album. I frequently go to the Photo
                                    Section on G104 and browse through the photo albums...but seldom go back
                                    through hundreds of postings looking for photos.
                                    Billy Ray

                                    **Please trim your replies**
                                    **Do not post in HTML or "Rich Text" mode**
                                    **Plain ASCII Text only please**
                                    **Attachments will be stripped**