RE: [G104] Re: Another M4 being restored

  • Chris Hughes
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2008
      Hi Dan,
      It sure looks like the same tank. I bet your correct about it.
      Chris "toadman" Hughes
      http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com

      To: G104@yahoogroups.comFrom: dfong@...: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:07:53 +0000Subject: [G104] Re: Another M4 being restored

      Thanks Chris,I think it's the same M4 found at this link. It's good to know that she's found a home. I always wondered why that M4 was on the same dock as the equipment used in the movie 'Flags Of Our Fathers', since it was a non-runner and never appears in the film. I was afraid the filmakers were thinking of blowing it up.http://flagsofourfathers.net/gallery/behind-the-scenes/Tank1dDan

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
        Hi Chris, Dan & Shawn,

        I can confirm that is the same tank as was seen in Iceland during the filming of 'Flags Of Our Fathers.' The guys in the UK said they plan to restore that to runner. They will have their hands full as it is completely stripped out inside. The story I heard was that it was a piece of playground equipment in a park in California. You can see the firewall was cut away, & at one time it had a little ladder inside so the kids could climb from the hull into the turret.
        I don't think Chrysler made more than about 60 of the small hatch M4s before switching over to the large hatch front end. Given the rarity, I was surprised when 2 surviving examples came to light a couple years back. The other one is on display at an NG Post in Trenton, Tn. Would guess both those tanks were remanufactured by Chrysler-Evansville in 1945, at which time they were retrofitted with the E9 suspension & other upgrades.

        Welcome, Brian. A friend visited the 1st AD Museum & sent some pix. That looks like a great collection. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of the AFVs are US Army combat veterans of WW II. If you have any interest in checking for serial numbers, it might be possible to cross reference them. The formerly running M4A1(76) has been reported as S/N 52002. I don't have any historical info about that one. It has one of those odd turrets without the ventilator on the rear. Would guess that came from an earlier M4A1. These show up on the first 76mm Shermans to arrive in Normandy around the time of Op. Cobra.

        I can confirm that the M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman on display in Vilseck is the same tank as in the "First in Bastogne" photo. I uploaded the shot to G104 a few years ago. It might still be in the photos or files section. An Army chaplain looked at it & reported the serial number from the rear tow lugs is 50487. That is an exact mathematical match to USA 3083084 which you can see painted on real big in the famous photo. Also the turret serial number 138 can be seen cast in in the Signal Corps photo, & the tank in Vilseck has the same number cast in on its turret. It was upgraded with a 76mm gun which caused the chaplain some confusion. Also one of the bogies was mounted backwards. The thing is, with all the BRAC closings, hope that historic tank doesn't get lost in the shuffle & get scrapped. It's happening elsewhere. Some of us think that tank might also have been part of the ill-fated Hammelburg Raid, but that's a whole other story.