IsYourComputerVulnerable? [This is NOT S*P*A*M]

  • Ray Merriam
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2008
      Hi Everyone,

      Here is a special computer tip that everyone should use. Go to the web page below and you'll will see a page that gives you some info about the services they offer. The site is Gibson Research Corporation (GRC), run by Steve Gibson who is a computer security expert. I have been using a number of his services and small computer protection programs for several years.

      Every time I reinstall Windows the first thing I do after the initial install is run a number of his programs that increase the protection of my computer. I do this before I do anything else, especially before connecting to the internet for the first time after a new install (most need only be run the one time to provide protection, until the next install).

      Here's the web page:

      https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

      There is a lot to read on this page (and his site) but well worth the time. Some of it will probably be "geeky" to many of you, so don't get too annoyed or impatient. What you really need to do is read the section below the "Proceed" button. The third line, shown in blue, is your computer's i.d., your "machine name" and it uniquely identifies you to the world. It will probably have your ISP's name at the end, but check to make sure the numbers preceding it are not also part of your account number with your ISP.

      Click on the "Proceed" button and in a minute or so you will see another page. In the section labeled "Shields Up!" you will see several buttons which when clicked will do scans of your system to determine how safe and protected you are. The five buttons in the top row are important. Use all five to check your system. I knew I would probably be pretty safe since I use both a firewall (not Windows built in version which is all but useless as it does not protect against outgoing traffic) and have used many of Steve Gibson's mini-programs. As an example, see the image file below that shows my results for the "File Sharing" scan. (I covered up some of my IP address for security.)

      [To those of you on my Yahoo groups and some of my other contacts who may be set up to receive text only in their emails, the image above may not display. Not really important, but do check out the Gibson site.]

      The only problem I had after running all five was with the "Common Ports" scan, which showed that while most were "Closed" or "Stealth", one was wide open, which I was able to close by adjusting my firewall. Sometimes, protecting yourself from the "nasties" out there, means your web viewing experience may be impacted and you'll start getting warning messages about web pages or sites being suspect. Doesn't mean they are a source of trouble, only that your computer and firewall and other programs you may have are being very cautious, which is always a good thing.

      For those of you who I have been telling for years how I check my email messages and do other things, especially when it comes to the internet, you know how I have had very little trouble despite the fact that I make no attempt to masquerade my name, my email address, etc, on many web sites, forums and so on. I get very little spam, yet I turned off my ISP's own spam-blocking software because they were blocking legitimate messages as well (which affected several authors of mine in recent months). I have used MailWasher for several years to view all my email messages BEFORE I download any of them. I am able to view the text of any message--without fear of my system being compromised since nothing is actually downloaded when I view the messages in this program. I can delete messages I don't want, and blacklist those that are suspicious, so next time one comes from that addressit is automatically marked for deletion.

      The only time I ever got hit by a virus was when I was doing a Windows reinstall one weekend after some hardware upgrades. I finished the basic Windows install late Sunday night and decided to wait until Monday to finish installing the programs and getting the updates from Microsoft's web site. Big mistake! Monday was the day one of the worst viruses (Blaster) to ever hit the internet was sprung and I got hit because I was totally unprotected (even though I had installed my firewall and anti-virus program, they had not been updated and were not able to protect me from that particular nasty). Took me three days to rid my system of that SOB. I know have a small program that I run first thing after a Windows install that protects me from ever getting that piece of nastiness, even though all good anti-virus/firewall programs now protect against it. Overkill, maybe, but I learned the hard way.

      Do yourself and your computer a favorand check out the GRC web site now and see if your computer is wide open and vulnerable.

      Ray

    • Lee Massey
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2008
        Ray, Thanks.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
          It is SPAM, it might be in a good cause, but it's still SPAM.

          It's worth pointing out that Mr. Gibson has a 'controversial' aspect to
          his site, some swear by him, others seem to swear at him!

          JH
        • Carrier, Paul D SSG NG NG NGB
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
            Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
            Caveats: NONE

            The entire email seemed to be very much a comercial for the fellows site.

            I'd say it foolish to download and run any software based on an email.
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
              I've never heard anything negative about Gibson. Perhaps it's from the
              companies whose products he labels as being the source of problems and
              creates programs to fix the problems.

              As for spam, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But that message
              does not fit the spam definition: Spamming is the abuse of electronic
              messaging systems to indiscriminately send unsolicited bulk messages. I
              personally wrote that message and used selected recipients from my address
              book to send it to.

              Sincerely,

              Ray Merriam
              Owner
              Merriam Press
              133 Elm St Apt 3R
              Bennington VT 05201-2250 USA

              Phone: 802-447-0313
              E-mail: ray@... or merriampress@...
              Web site: http://www.merriam-press.com

              > It is SPAM, it might be in a good cause, but it's still SPAM.
              >
              > It's worth pointing out that Mr. Gibson has a 'controversial' aspect to
              > his site, some swear by him, others seem to swear at him!
              >
              > JH
              >
              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              > **Please trim your replies**
              > **Do not post in HTML or "Rich Text" mode**
              > **Plain ASCII Text only please**
              > **Attachments will be stripped**

            • Ray Merriam
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
                No commercial, just a tip from a computer newsletter that I have received
                for several years now and pay to receive it (it's saved my ass more times
                than I can count, as has Gibson's site), and I thought I was doing a few
                people a favor. Well, screw that, leave your computers open to all kinds of
                nastiness and see if I care.

                I've been a member of this group for several years and have been publishing
                military history books and publications since 1968 (over 120 titles in print
                now). I don't go around promoting every half-assed thing that comes
                along--and I go out of my way to make sure that material I receive is
                accurate before I forward it on. It amazes me how many people believe the
                nonsense that gets sent in emails, such as the stuff that Snopes classifies
                as false (check out their page on the Unknown Tomb sometime--you wouldn't
                believe how many times people have sent that email message to me and even
                when I point out it's many lies and distortions they simply won't believe
                it).

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
                  Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
                  Caveats: NONE

                  I'd invite you to re-read what you sent.
                  It came across very much like someone shilling for a product.

                • Al Bowie
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
                    Ray, I work in the IT industry and never cease to be amazed at how lax people are about home PC security. Thank you for taking the time to try and make people aware of it.
                    Cheers
                    Al