Finding an identity for my 1/8 scale Sherman HVSS 105 Howitzer.

  • bob7bob78
    Message 1 of 23 , May 17, 2008
      Hi.
      I am new here and I am hoping someone can help.
      I have an all metal 1/8 scale Sherman as in the attached photograph. It
      looks pretty ordinary without some kind of identity but I am finding it
      difficult to decide what would look good. I have decided to call
      it "Scotty" as a tribute to a family member but other than that I am
      looking for a unit for it to depict. Any help appreciated.

    • CHARLES RAY
      Message 2 of 23 , May 17, 2008
        First off, nice tank!!!
        Joe can help us out on this as my knowledge of all the particulars of the Sherman's is limited, but I'd say that your Sherman looks just like the one my Dad drove. His tank was named "Big Bertha" and had the 105 Howitzer. I believe Joe told me it also had the HVSS suspension.
        My Dad was in the 777th Tank Battalion. Here in my little memorial to the 777th, (my office) I have the 777th company group photos, taken before and after the war. They adorn the wall. I have a book case full of books and unit histories telling what the 777th did in WWII. I have several hundred snapshots from back in WWII and a photo album of photos I took in 2001 when I drove the same route the 777th took as they divided Germany and defeated the Reich.
        What I don't have is a Sherman Tank like my Dad drove from Wimborne Minster in Dorset to the Bill of Portland and from LeHavre to Torgau. They are way out of my price range. One like yours would be nice to have. I shall do some shopping.
        Having said all that, if you used your tank to depict the 777th Tank Battalion, I'd be very pleased. I'd even make a nice entry about your tank in the history of the 777th, "The Lucky Triple Sevens".
        I posted a new album and some of my photos.
        Billy Ray
        Houston, Texas

        Message 3 of 23 , May 17, 2008
          Hello Ray.
          Thanks for your comments about my tank. I belong to the UK Tank Club.
          We run and show large scale radio control tanks. My husband bought a
          1/6 T34 so when this all metal Sherman came up for sale I bought it
          so as not to get left out. He sprayed it for me but as I mentioned it
          has no identity. I have been through web sites and as there were so
          many variations I just got confused. As we do sometimes get people at
          shows who really know their stuff I wanted to get it right.
          If you could give me some idea of the markings on "Big Bertha" and
          the 777th I will try to utilise them. It would be nice to explain to
          people that my tank was a tribute to a real part of history not just
          a model. I have used my model as a focal point to help with a
          charity. It is called Help for Heroes and is raising money for a
          swimming pool for our armed forces rehabilitation centre in the UK.
          Look forward to some more information and maybe some more pictures.
          Many Thanks.
          Sue.

          Message 4 of 23 , May 18, 2008
            Hi Billy Ray,

            Yes, your Dad's tank was an M4A3(105)HVSS. There aren't very many WW II era photos of M4A3(105)s with HVSS in US Army service, so it's good to see those shots added to the mix. If Sue would like to mark her Sherman model in honor of "Big Bertha" suggest you show her your photos "Big Bertha & Crew in Borsdorf" & "Harold Henderson in turret of Big Bertha 1945." When the 777th entered France, as an independent Tank Battalion, they were an asset of 1st Army. You don't have a clear photo, but I believe Big Betha would have had 1A 777 Delta painted on the differential housing on the bow gunner's side, & B 4 painted on the driver''s side. That would have been repeated on the rear hull plate as well.

            HTH,

            Message 5 of 23 , May 18, 2008
              Hi Joe.
              Billy Ray has sent me some information about "Big Bertha" and I am
              quite excited that I have some real people to associate my tank with.
              I am sure with the two of you guiding me I can set my tank up as a
              moving memorial and tribute. What I really need is the exact location
              for any identification marks, what sort of lettering style was used,
              colours. My husband has just put two large stars on the turret but
              looking at one of Billy Ray's photos, it looks like "Big Bertha"
              didn't show any or they have been scrubbed out to make her less of a
              target.
              Many thanks.
              Sue.

              --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DeMarco" <snick13@...> wrote:

              > Hi Billy Ray,
              >
              > Yes, your Dad's tank was an M4A3(105)HVSS. There aren't very many
              WW II era photos of M4A3(105)s with HVSS in US Army service, so it's
              good to see those shots added to the mix. If Sue would like to mark
              her Sherman model in honor of "Big Bertha" suggest you show her your
              photos "Big Bertha & Crew in Borsdorf" & "Harold Henderson in turret
              of Big Bertha 1945." When the 777th entered France, as an
              independent Tank Battalion, they were an asset of 1st Army. You don't
              have a clear photo, but I believe Big Betha would have had 1A 777
              Delta painted on the differential housing on the bow gunner's side, &
              B 4 painted on the driver''s side. That would have been repeated on
              the rear hull plate as well.

              > HTH,
              >
              > Joe

              HVSS 105 Howitzer.

              Message 6 of 23 , May 18, 2008
                Sue,
                I posted more photos of the 777th and in some of them you can see the markings. Can't explain why dad took the stars off his tank. Perhaps like you said, they make for a big target in the moonlight. Based on the additional armor plate, you should be able to make a scaled down star for the sides and front. I think they are all about the same size although I did see one someplace that was a star in a circle that covered half the area of the tank under the gun.
                Please send photos when you have the markings on...I'll show them to my Mother and she'll be proud. I'll send a photo to Herb Fish up in Battle Creek, Michigan as well. He'll be so pleased.

              • Ray Merriam
                Message 7 of 23 , May 18, 2008
                  Moonlight... heck, they make a big target in daylight, starlight, everything
                  BUT a moonless overcast night. Some photos show stars painted out with a
                  darker color or black (some even appear to be gloss paint) and these make
                  almost as good a target.

                  Sincerely,

                  Ray Merriam
                  Owner
                  Merriam Press
                  133 Elm St Apt 3R
                  Bennington VT 05201-2250 USA

                  Phone: 802-447-0313
                  E-mail: ray@... or merriampress@...
                  Web site: http://www.merriam-press.com

                  > I posted more photos of the 777th and in some of them you can see the
                  > markings. Can't explain why dad took the stars off his tank. Perhaps
                  > like you said, they make for a big target in the moonlight. Based on the
                  > additional armor plate, you should be able to make a scaled down star for
                  > the sides and front. I think they are all about the same size although I
                  > did see one someplace that was a star in a circle that covered half the
                  > area of the tank under the gun.
                  > Please send photos when you have the markings on...I'll show them to my
                  > Mother and she'll be proud. I'll send a photo to Herb Fish up in Battle
                  > Creek, Michigan as well. He'll be so pleased.
                  >

                  > bob7bob78 <bob7bob78@...> wrote:
                  > Hi Joe.
                  > Billy Ray has sent me some information about "Big Bertha" and I am
                  > quite excited that I have some real people to associate my tank with.
                  > I am sure with the two of you guiding me I can set my tank up as a
                  > moving memorial and tribute. What I really need is the exact location
                  > for any identification marks, what sort of lettering style was used,
                  > colours. My husband has just put two large stars on the turret but
                  > looking at one of Billy Ray's photos, it looks like "Big Bertha"
                  > didn't show any or they have been scrubbed out to make her less of a
                  > target.
                  > Many thanks.
                  > Sue.
                  >
                  > --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DeMarco" <snick13@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hi Billy Ray,
                  >>
                  >> Yes, your Dad's tank was an M4A3(105)HVSS. There aren't very many
                  > WW II era photos of M4A3(105)s with HVSS in US Army service, so it's
                  > good to see those shots added to the mix. If Sue would like to mark
                  > her Sherman model in honor of "Big Bertha" suggest you show her your
                  > photos "Big Bertha & Crew in Borsdorf" & "Harold Henderson in turret
                  > of Big Bertha 1945." When the 777th entered France, as an
                  > independent Tank Battalion, they were an asset of 1st Army. You don't
                  > have a clear photo, but I believe Big Betha would have had 1A 777
                  > Delta painted on the differential housing on the bow gunner's side, &
                  > B 4 painted on the driver''s side. That would have been repeated on
                  > the rear hull plate as well.
                  >>
                  >> HTH,
                  >>
                  >> Joe

                • CHARLES RAY
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 18, 2008
                    Ray.
                    I would like to hear 30,000 men, tanks, trucks and other vehicles moving silently through the darkness of a moon lit night and not give away their presence. Tanks and half tracks surely sound as loud in the night as they do in the day. I know from my history that the 777th seldom slept. Once in a while they made a pit stop for a few hours but other than that, they were definitely always "moving Targets."
                    Joe,
                    Did you listen to the video on the CD of the re-enactment. Brent's 76 is a noisy one and the one from the museum at Camp Mabry in Austin....well it is the noisiest one I ever heard...and the first and only one I've ever heard so I suspect there are oncs that are louder.
                    Billy Ray

                  • Terry Warner
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 18, 2008
                      There is a tale from the Normandy campaign of two tank units harbouring
                      up in adjacent woods, and falling fast asleep. (I was always told one
                      was Canadian.) Neither one knew the other was the enemy. When the
                      sentries realized their proximity, the two separated quietly and
                      uneventfully. Perhaps they judged their own inability to fight
                      effectively as a result of fatigue and depleted stores, without
                      recognizing the same in the other.

                      Terry

                      CHARLES RAY wrote:

                      > Ray.
                      > I would like to hear 30,000 men, tanks, trucks and other vehicles
                      > moving silently through the darkness of a moon lit night and not give
                      > away their presence. Tanks and half tracks surely sound as loud in the
                      > night as they do in the day. I know from my history that the 777th
                      > seldom slept. Once in a while they made a pit stop for a few hours but
                      > other than that, they were definitely always "moving Targets."

                    • James Donaldson
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 18, 2008
                        As an ex tanker and cavalry scout I can tell you that all tracked vehicles are noisy. You can hear them from a lot further away then wheeled vehicles, no matter what kind of engines they've got. The only tank that's ever snuck up me were brand new M1's on smooth hard top roads from down wind (road mach at Ft Knox). But after a few weeks service the tracks start to make that distinct creaking sound that can be heard further and further away. Especially a big unit with lots of vehicles.
                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 18, 2008
                          Guys, apparently you have misunderstood what this particular part of this
                          particular discussion was about: the fact that a bright white star onb the
                          side of a vehicle hull/turret/whatever sticks out like a sore thumb and
                          makes a very convenient aiming point for enemy gunners. I was merely
                          pointing out that this was a highly visible aiming point in day and almost
                          any other situation where there was at least some light, not just bright
                          moonlight. I guess some misunderstood that we were referring to the vehicles
                          themselves, when we were referring specifically to the stars on said
                          vehicles.

                          Of course the problem in theater was getting paint that matched that used to
                          paint the overall vehicle. Some crews would use mud not only to hide the
                          star but to camouflage the entire vehicle in some cases. A better permanent
                          solution would have been to use gray paint for the star, which was done on
                          the white portions of the national insignia on some USAAF aircraft during
                          the war.

                          Of course today national insignia is almost invisible if it's applied at
                          all. Which reminds me of a discussion a few years back on another group (not
                          a Yahoo group) in which someone wanted to know if the use of the gray U.S.
                          national insignia on aircraft was a violation of international law. It's
                          not, since there is no law that says national insiginia has to be carried.
                          In any case, at the distances at which aircraft (and even AFVs) today can
                          now fight, if you wait until you can see the national insignia (no matter
                          how it's painted), you'll be dead.

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 18, 2008
                            In the movie, "The Longest Day," two units of foot soldiers, one Americans and the other Germans, passed each other on the same road not more than a few feet apart. Neither recognized the others as their enemy. Several times in the 777th History, other friendly units fired on the tankers and likewise, the tankers fired on friendly units until someone radioed for them to cease fire.
                            But allied two tank units sharing a common ground for bivouac and then one sneaking off undetected is a hard one to swallow...surely, as you said, they were not equipped to attack or were so tired that they were all asleep, or an attack at close range would have been disastrous for both units. I think the latter is the best reason. Imagine the noise that would have been heard had the one unit attacked the other.
                            Billy Ray

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 18, 2008
                              Ray,
                              I certainly hope that Sue adds a bright white star to her tank. Can't wait to see the photos. It is the standard for US Tanks for all occasions. Someone once told me that the Russian Vehicles also had a white star painted on their vehicles. I saw a truck photo that depicts a truck load of Russians heading for home after meeting the 69 and attached units at Torgau.And I hope the battles she fights with her tank are ones where she hunts down the enemy, gives them a chance to see her star from any spot where he may be hiding for just long enough to realize that "they have been had", and she fires a killer blow before the enemy tank even knows she's there. A song comes to mind, "Hit em with your best shot, fire away."
                              Sue, is your mini tank equiped with a gasoline/diesel motor or a battery powered electric motor? Does your tank sound like a "big" tank when on the move?
                              Billy

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 19, 2008
                                I assume you are referring to the scene where a single American paratrooper
                                is walking along one side of a stone wall and a German squad on the other
                                going in opposite directions. The American does realize they are Germans
                                just as they pass by. It is based an a true incident (read the book).

                                Ray Merriam (NOT Charles "Ray")

                                Message 15 of 23 , May 19, 2008
                                  Hi to all.
                                  I have added a picture of my tank with the first of it's new markings
                                  on, the White Star. I have made some decals of the insignia of the
                                  777th Tank Battalion but until I get some lettering I can't go any
                                  further. I have looked at lots of pictures to try and decide exactly
                                  where things should go but still not completely sure.
                                  As far as the sound goes, yes it does sound like a tank. It has a
                                  sound chip in it which has a recording of a diesel Sherman, (not a
                                  rotary engine) mixed with the sound of a Hellcat. I bought it second
                                  hand and the technology has moved on but it doesn't sound too bad. It
                                  runs on electric motors. When it is finished I will film it and put
                                  something on line so you can hear it.
                                  As I said before, it is not 100% accurate.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 19, 2008
                                    Sue,
                                    In the photos of the 777th you should see some markings for the front. Although I only have the one unclear photo of Big Bertha, I guess the markings were standard on all the battalion tanks.
                                    Joe, is there any way to find out a good serial number to pass on to Sue? Even if it isn't Big Bertha's actual serial number, one that is close will do unless it belongs to another tank that is still alive. That would be totally wrong. I always hoped that someone from the 777th would eventually see my stories and come forward with photos of the tanks but so far, none of the photos I have received, other than the few from Dad's photos and a couple of Nance's photos at Borsdorf, show a picture of Big Bertha.
                                    Sue, I will show this photo to my Mom tonight. Thanks,
                                    Billy

                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 20, 2008
                                      >Joe, is there any way to find out a good serial number to pass on to Sue? Even if it isn't Big Bertha's actual serial number, one that is close will do

                                      Billy Ray, I sent you some info about a couple of M4A3(105) casualties. The first was USA 30111426 reported damaged by arty, repairable, 3/3/45. I think that would be the one you have listed as "5 March 1945: The Assault Gun Platoon received direct mortar and artillery fire and one tank from the Assault Gun Platoon was hit. The Driver and Bog Gunner hatches were jammed as a result of the explosion but there were no physical injuries reported."
                                      The other was USA 30111429 hit 4/11/45 by a "bazooka" on the side of the turret at 50 ft, burned & the commander was wounded. The tank was left in Beichlingen. That would be the one you have in "The Battle at Beichlingen 11 April 1945: At Beichlingen, which was bypassed by the 9th Armored Division, the tankers received small arms fire, panser_faust, and sniper fire. The infantry dismounted and the attack commenced. One of 3rd Platoon's tanks, commanded by Sgt Bennett was destroyed and Sgt Bennett was seriously wounded in the leg."
                                      Anyway, you might notice by the USA Registration Numbers that 30111426 was made 3 tanks before 30111429. Those were some of the first M4A3(105)s with HVSS that Chrysler manufactured, Sept 1944. We might assume that Big Bertha was the same vintage. In the absence of a photo, I reckon 30111427 would probably be within + / - 40 of the real registration number.
                                      Sue, that was painted on both sides of the tank in the rear. You can see it in the photo of "Always Julie." If you don't want to fool with it, it was often obscured by dust & mud. If you look through Billy Ray's pix, the shots where you can see the big white stars were taken at Fort Knox when the unit trained there in 1944. That represents the typical depot application. The photos suggest that when the 777th entered combat, they decided they could live without the stars. If you want to add them to liven up an otherwise drab tank model, you could figure post VE Day. They probably had plenty of free time ( & possibly orders) to wash their tanks & paint the stars back on.

                                      Joe
                                      _._,___

                                    • CHARLES RAY
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 20, 2008
                                        Sue,
                                        S/N 30111427 seems as good a number as any...thanks Joe.
                                        I can only hope that people are reading this and will come forward with more information about the 777th tanks. I might need to make a second trip to DC and go through the Archives once more. The 777th was at Fort Knox for a little over a year but I have very little history about the tanks..must be some documentation somewhere.
                                        I was told that the battalion received new tanks in England "covered with cosmolene" that took some time to remove. Now I ask, did the preparation for shipment at the port in New York require all the tanks to be cosmolene coated prior to them being.shipped? I know that it was in England that the men added the "call names" to the sides of the tanks.
                                        The photo, "tanks in a field" was taken of A company tanks outside the town of Arenshausen and some at Westhausen, Germany on Hwy B-80. The stars are clearly visible...a few days later, the tanks were in battle in Audigast and Eythra and several were tanks received hits and some knocked out. Was the visible star part of the reason for the knocked out tanks!!!!
                                        Billy

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 20, 2008
                                          Hi Billy.
                                          Seems like I am well on the way to getting all the information I
                                          need. I will read through it all and work out what goes where and
                                          get the final OK before committing to putting on the numbers and
                                          letters.
                                          I did send you an e-mail asking if it was OK to reproduce some of
                                          your photographs and history to a folder to take to shows but it was
                                          returned. We get a lot of questions at shows and it would be nice to
                                          show people the crew as it keeps the history and the memory alive.
                                          I seem to have gained a lot more knowledge of Sherman tanks these
                                          last few days. Thanks.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 20, 2008
                                            >The photo, "tanks in a field" was taken of A company tanks outside the town of Arenshausen and some at Westhausen, Germany on Hwy B-80.

                                            Billy, is that the photo with the half track in the left foreground? If so, I would have to say that was taken at Ft Knox in 1944. Those Shermans are the very rare M4A6 variant. They had Guiberson Radial Diesel engines. The 777th trained with them. The engine project was rejected after only 75 units were made. I am almost positive that none of those ever left the States. The other photo of an M4A6 is labeled "in 1945 004." The photo labeled "John McCann's Tank in Germany 1945 002" is probably an M4A6, but there's not enough info in the photo to say for sure. Looks like it has the name "Chocktaw." That's a nice portrait of a couple young tankers. The photo labeled "John McCann's Tank in Germany 1945 001" shows a 1942 or early 1943 production M4A1. That was probably taken while they were training in the US as well. If the photos have little notes on the back, the guys probably just misremembered where the shots were taken.

                                            AFVs shipped overseas were prepared at Depots & sealed & weatherproofed. By 1945, they had a sprayable asphaltic sealant that they coated the suspension with & sprayed around the hatches, etc. In some photos, it almost looks like the tanks were painted shiny black. No doubt it took qiuite a bit of time to clean all that goop off of there.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 21, 2008
                                              I think the one labeled "Blitz Returns" is also an M4A6, based on the combination of the wide bogie spacing and cast glacis.

                                            • CHARLES RAY
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 22, 2008
                                                Kurt and all,
                                                I see that I mis-labeled the "Blitz Returns" photo. It is actually "Cassanova"...photo provided by Henry Putala. I have also posted the correct photo of "Blitz Returns" provided by Ed Houghtaling. You'll also see another photo of "Blitz Returns" being turned in at the Railhead in Leipzig.
                                                I am afraid I just haven't mastered the different series of Sherman Tanks. In my matrix of tanks, names and bios for the men of the 777th, I have included the information. Thanks for the identification on Cassanova.
                                                Billy

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Sep 28, 2008
                                                  Hi to all who have helped me with information on this project,
                                                  especially Billy Ray.

                                                  Here finally is some film of the finished article.

                                                  http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LFMgv9tsxsw

                                                  Sue.