Sharing Sherman photos

  • binder5295
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2 1:53 PM
      I have posted some of my photos of Shermans on display to a public site;

      http://picasaweb.google.com/gebinder01

      Please enjoy,

      Gary Binder
    • MSW
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3 6:00 AM
        Thanks Gary. Those steam locomotives were awesome too!

        MSW

        Message 3 of 5 , May 3 4:13 PM
          Hi Gary

          Hope things are good in Nebraska. Thanks for sharing your photos! I was talking to a friend about the M4A3(75) in Denver, recently. He reported that one is Serial Number 12306, indicating it was built by Ford in Highland Park, Michigan, June, 1943. I would guess it might have been remanufactured by Montreal Locomotive in 1945. It has the E9 extensions installed but no extended end connectors fitted. There are quite a few Shermans on display in the US that have that config. The M4A3s used in "The Tanks Are Coming" had that same setup. I believe that was mostly filmed at Ft Knox in 1950. It was possible to read some of the USA Numbers from some of the Shermans in the movie. The corresponding serial numbers of a couple of them were 12305 & 12308 (California Jane). Maybe 12306 had a role in the film as well?

          The same friend visited the M7 in Marysville. The dataplate above the driver's "window" was too rusty to read, but that one has 246 clearly stamped on the rear towing lugs. That would indicate it was built by ALCO in July, 1942. That would be the oldest surviving Priest I am aware of. Looks like it was rebuilt or upgraded with the folding armor mod, wire baskets on top of the original side hinged stowage boxes, late style VVSS suspension, & an armored first aid box. When an early M7 model kit came out not long ago, it included a 1944 style "tombstone" instrument panel. If you look inside the Marysville, you can see fittings that held the long M3 Medium type instrument panel. From counting heads, I would conclude that all M7s built up to Aug, 1943 had the long panel. Priests built March, 1944 on had the 1944 type tombstone. Some surviving examples of 1942/43 M7s appear to have been retrofitted with tombstone panels at some point, which may have caused some confusion.

          Thanks again, Gary!

          Message 4 of 5 , May 5 7:57 AM
            Joe,

            Thanks for the comments on the M4A3 and M7. I wish I was able to get
            serial numbers on some of the others.

            I must confess that for years I thought the M7 in Marysville was a 1944-
            production model due to the late features. As I was going over the
            photos (adjusting some exposures, etc) for posting I suddenly realized
            that that beastie had a SHALLOW pulpit, etc.

            Have camera - will travel!

            Gary
          • David Christensen
            Message 5 of 5 , May 15 9:52 AM