Sherman has moved

  • wwwpanserdk
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2008
      Danish Army Sherman M4A3E4 serial no. 56892 have been aquired from the
      Army Combat School in Oksbøl by a German collector, allegedly in a swap
      with another vehicle.

      I think it might be one of two offered on MilWeb
      (http://www.milweb.net/index2.html)

      The vehicle is a former range vehicle, but has not been fired
      at, "only" used for molotow-cocktail parties. It has engine and
      transmission and most of the interior is there, though of course
      damaged by fire and general decay. Tracks and engine hatches are
      missing as are other parts.

      I wonder if anyone knows more about the vehicle and would be willing to
      venture a guess as to how much it might be worth?

      cbo

      Picture: http://www.com-central.net/memberupload//56892.jpg
    • JOSEPH DEMARCO
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2008
        Hi Claus

        Hope all's good with you. S/N 56892 "says" that was built originally as an M4A3(105)VVSS. From info you sent earlier, several of the Danish Shermans were converted from 105s. The gun travel lock is still in the position of a 105 Sherman. On M4A3(75)Ws, the travel lock was the smaller one mounted higher up the glacis. Can't tell about that one, but some of the Danish (& other) MDAP Shermans appear to have had their 105 turrets swapped out for 75mm turrets from much earlier Shermans. Have you seen inside any of the Danish M4A3E4s? Was wondering if they were retrofitted with 76mm wet stowage ammo bins?

      • wwwpanserdk
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2008
          --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "JOSEPH DEMARCO" <snick13@...> wrote:

          > Hi Claus
          >
          > Hope all's good with you. S/N 56892 "says" that was built
          originally as an M4A3(105)VVSS. From info you sent earlier, several
          of the Danish Shermans were converted from 105s. The gun travel lock
          is still in the position of a 105 Sherman. On M4A3(75)Ws, the travel
          lock was the smaller one mounted higher up the glacis. Can't tell
          about that one, but some of the Danish (& other) MDAP Shermans appear
          to have had their 105 turrets swapped out for 75mm turrets from much
          earlier Shermans. Have you seen inside any of the Danish M4A3E4s? Was
          wondering if they were retrofitted with 76mm wet stowage ammo bins?

          > Joe

          Joe,

          Good hearing from you again!

          I believe all the turrets are a mix of low bustle and high bustle
          75mm turrets, some with applique armour on the right turret side.
          None have the rear turret ventilator of the 105mm turret.

          I've been inside several of these and as far as I can tell, the hull
          interior is more or less like a standard M4A3(76)W. There is a 30
          round magazine behind the hull-gunner, a 35 round magazine under the
          loaders floor and a 6 round magazine under the gunners seat.
          There are bits and pieces missing from the stabilizer and turret
          traverse system, but what is left suggest they've reused the 75mm
          parts that came with the turret, even if some appears to have been
          relocated (like the stabilizer control box).

          cbo