M3 vs. early M4 lower hull section

  • longtom2222
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2008
      One thing I haven't been sure of. The M3 was a hastily-designed
      interim model meant to be a stopgap until the Sherman was ready, but
      had many elements in common with the early Shermans, such as the track
      assembly. So are the lower sections of the M3 Grant\Lee like thatr of
      the early Shermans, or is this a misconception?

      Tom Radigan.
    • Tankmodeler
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2008
        Fundamentally a late M3 hull, a Ram hull and an early Sherman M4/M4A1
        hull are almost identical. They all use the same engine, all have the
        same suspension, engine access points and transmission interfaces. Early
        M3 and Late M4 hulls have differences, but where the hulls of the three
        vehicles overlap in terms of dates of manufacture, they are very, very
        similar.

        Paul