Re: [G104] Re: Latest Progress on Sherman Restoration

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 11, 2007
      >what side would the antenna be on ? left or right?

      Fred, on a 76mm turret, the most common configuration seen in period pix, shows the antenna mounted into the socket directly behind the commanders cupola.
      I like the shots you have of the turret platform. It's not easy to get an idea of the configuration when looking inside a complete tank because of all the stuff in the way. Your photo dscn1515 clearly shows it - like half a pizza with a little slice cut from the rear, & dscn1520 shows the position when the turret is facing forward. In his "Sherman" book, Richard Hunnicutt states something that has baffled me. On page 278, talking about the partial turret basket/platform..."it was eliminated completely from the later vehicles to increase the space available & improve access to the ammunition stowage." That might have been the intention of the Ord. Dept., but I can't find any evidence that it was ever done in production. One of our members has what I'm sure is one of the last 76mm turrets that was cast, & he says it has the configuration like yours.

      >Correction that is a 4444 with a 13 below it Joe.

      Thanks, Jim. I like to record information from Union Steel turrets because they cast the turret serial number into the sides, & it can often be read, even in period photos. I couldn't really tell from the few pix I've seen of that one, but if it has the cast in thick section on the right cheek AND a pistol port, turret number 4444 actually makes more sense than 1444. Ignoring all the Israeli modifications, I think what you had there was a rare example of a low bustle D50878 turret that had a factory installed loader's hatch. Just from recording numbers from period pix & surviving examples, I would guess that not more than a couple hundred of those were made before everyone switched to high bustle 75mm turrets in late 1943. The Israelis retrofitted loader's hatches to a lot of their M50 turrets, but I don't think they would have had to on that one. Did you take any photos of the top of that turret?