found Radial engine

  • Terry Eisenhower
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2007
      Hi guys
      I just found 3 diesel 9 cyl Radial engines in a old sawmill in Washington
      state. I thought they were from a m4 but when I looked up the number it was
      for a m3a1 " Stuart", they are a T-1020 series 4 & 5 from 1942/1943 .Know
      anyone who needs one ?
      I'll post some photos

      Unit 1 is out side the mill, it was under black plastic tarp it is whole and
      looks like was to be a spare.
      Unit 2 is under the mill and looks like it's whole and ran everything in
      the mill
      Unit 3 is also under the mill and looks like it was used for parts for unit
      2, it appears that all the pieces are there.

      here are the numbers of the engines:
      Unit 3 Engine # 5-3082, year 1943 ,Bureau of Ships Boat Engine # 80647
      Unit 2 Engine # 4-2485, year 1942, Bureau of Ships Boat Engine # 81213
      Unit 1 Engine # 5-2683, year 1943, Bureau of Ships Boat Engine # ?????
    • Brandon K.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2007
        These are cool but essentially have no value except as a curiosity or museum piece. They used a
        lot of them in California as wind machines in fruit orchards.

        --- Terry Eisenhower <terrywe@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys
        > I just found 3 diesel 9 cyl Radial engines in a old sawmill in Washington
        > state. I thought they were from a m4 but when I looked up the number it was
        > for a m3a1 " Stuart", they are a T-1020 series 4 & 5 from 1942/1943 .Know
        > anyone who needs one ?

      • Robert Beaver
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
          If you wish, please post the photos. We are in need
          of some parts as our museum has two Guiberson radials.
          We plan on merging the two and putting one on a test
          stand (which we have) and using it as a demonstration
          engine (most people have never seen a diesel radial
          operate). Shipping complete engines like this is
          equivalent to the cost of the engine itself so it's a
          loose-loose situation (600 + lbs) unless they are
          close to whomever needs them. We are in need of the
          cartridge starting mechanism more than anything else.

          --- Terry Eisenhower <terrywe@...> wrote:

          > Hi guys
          > I just found 3 diesel 9 cyl Radial engines in a old
          > sawmill in Washington
          > state. I thought they were from a m4 but when I
          > looked up the number it was
          > for a m3a1 " Stuart", they are a T-1020 series 4 & 5
          > from 1942/1943 .Know
          > anyone who needs one ?
          > I'll post some photos
          >
          > Unit 1 is out side the mill, it was under black
          > plastic tarp it is whole and
          > looks like was to be a spare.
          > Unit 2 is under the mill and looks like it's whole
          > and ran everything in
          > the mill
          > Unit 3 is also under the mill and looks like it was
          > used for parts for unit
          > 2, it appears that all the pieces are there.
          >
          > here are the numbers of the engines:
          > Unit 3 Engine # 5-3082, year 1943 ,Bureau of Ships
          > Boat Engine # 80647
          > Unit 2 Engine # 4-2485, year 1942, Bureau of Ships
          > Boat Engine # 81213
          > Unit 1 Engine # 5-2683, year 1943, Bureau of Ships
          > Boat Engine # ?????

        • Terry Warner
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
            Voice of Ignorance here, how does a radial diesel differ from a radial
            gasoline engine?

            I have a diesel VW car. It has 4-cylinders so the stroke and timing are
            easy to understand, but my math mind loses track of the strokes and
            timing to get 9 cylinders through diesel 4 strokes.

            Terry

            Robert Beaver wrote:

            > If you wish, please post the photos. We are in need
            > of some parts as our museum has two Guiberson radials.
            > We plan on merging the two and putting one on a test
            > stand (which we have) and using it as a demonstration
            > engine (most people have never seen a diesel radial
            > operate).

          • Robert Beaver
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
              The smell.