New Photos Added

  • Rick G
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2007
      I have scanned some additional photos of "flamethrower" tanks of the
      713th in action on Okinawa. These were taken by Larry Hoover, who
      along with my father served in A Company. They are not the best, but
      they were taken in a combat zone, probably with an old Brownie camera,
      or the like.

      How I got them is interesting (at least I think so.) I live in a small
      town in Southern Michigan. For some reason, a couple of years ago, my
      father remembered Larry's name and that fact that he was from another
      small town near me. Larry's name was in the local phone book, so I
      called him up. Unfortunately, he had passed away a few years earlier.
      Speaking with his widow, I asked if she had family still living in the
      area. She mentioned that she had a grandson, and told me where he
      worked. As it turns out, he was someone I had been working with for
      nearly a decade. Although we spoke often, the subject of WWII never
      came up.

      My daughter graduated that year, so I invited Mrs. Hoover and the
      grandson to our open house. It was quite a surprise for my father,
      particularly when she brought out the photos.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
        Hi Rick,

        Thanks for uploading the photos!
        In the "disabled" photo, notice the pipe fitting coming off the turret's bullet splash. It looks like pipe that you could get in any hardware store.That can also be seen on a couple of the 713th tanks in the photo I sent you, SC206511. I think that had to do with refueling the flamethrower fuel tanks inside. Their Shermans looked very similar to regular M4 Composites, so if you can see that fitting in a photo, it would be a good recog feature of a FT Sherman. There are a few surviving FT Sherman conversions scattered about the US that have a pipe fitting similar to that.

        If you Dad recalls those racks on either side of the engine deck, you might add them & the pipe fitting to your model of his tank.

        In the photo you posted labeled 4fb4.jpg, I'd be interested to know the tank's name - maybe ALICE? (It comes up real small on the site.) It appears to be Speed Number 15. If it's any help to your father, in a regular TB, the Speed Numbers of A Co. would go from about 7 to 24.