RE: [G104] Digest #1988 And Weirton, WV

  • Steve Youschak
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 9, 2007
      >1. Shermans in Pa
      > Posted by: "Joe DeMarco" snick1@... convent21218
      >
      > >How recent was the Priest sighting?
      >
      >I don't know, Kurt. The gent would definitely know a Sherman or Priest if
      >he saw one, & he was aware of many of the other Shermans in Pa. Too bad we
      >lost the "Tanks for the Memories" website. You would think one of the
      >geocachers would have reported them, like they did with the "previously
      >undiscovered " M4A3 in Monessen. Hope it's not a wild goose chase.
      >
      >Joe
      >

      >2a. AFV Register
      > Posted by: "Kurt Laughlin" fleeta@... kurt_laughlin
      >
      >Hi Neil:
      >
      >I thought I'd send along some stuff I had. First is my list of tanks that
      >I compiled off the Geocaching site.
      >
      >Second is the following data from my notes on various tanks I've visited.
      >(I wish you tracked guns too as I've got a ton of them.)

      <snip>

      >Hope that helps,
      >KL
      <snip>>
      >2b. Re: AFV Register
      > Posted by: "Kurt Laughlin" fleeta@... kurt_laughlin
      >
      >Sorry group, meant to go direct. . .
      >
      >KL

      Too late, now we ALL know!!

      Anyway Kurt and all,
      IIRC, there is a smallish military museum just few minutes outside of State
      College, PA, near Penn State. Can not for the life of me recall the name of
      the town, but I could have sworn I seen a "Duster" AA tank and/or a Priest
      parked out in the elements.

      Also, just at the Weirton, WV "Main St" exit off of US22 - before you get to
      the fancy bridge and cross over to Steubenville, OH - there is an easily
      visible little park that has either an M60 "Slick" or an M48. I can't say
      exactly which as I never stopped. Also has a Cobra gunship in this little
      park.

      HTH
      Steve

    • Bob Smart
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2007
        At 02:56 PM 4/9/2007 +0000, you wrote:

        >"" exit off of US22 - before you get to
        > the fancy bridge and cross over to Steubenville, OH - there is an easily
        >"" or an M48. I can't say
        > exactly which as I never stopped. Also has a Cobra gunship in this little
        > park.
        >
        > HTH
        > Steve

        Actually The tank in Weirton is a T95, an experimental US design. I have
        pictures of it in tankpics@yahoogroups.com. I set that group up so folks
        could exchange tank pictures before places like photobucket became popular.
        I think you can view the pictures without joining but joining is easy. (I
        do have to 'approve' members, but that is just to keep spammers out)

        The T95 dosn't have any return rollers giving it very 'soviet' apperance.
        It has an M48 turret.

        Bob Smart (bsmart@...)

        P.S. I'll put in a plug for Neil Baumgardner's 'The USA Historical AFV
        Register' available as a download from the web (I know he announced it and
        the download site here a while back). It is over 150 pages, organized by
        state and town. Weirton is in there but I don't see any entry for State
        College PA, so if you have any info please pass it on
      • Bob Smart
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9, 2007
          At 02:56 PM 4/9/2007 +0000, you wrote:

          > Anyway Kurt and all,
          > IIRC, there is a smallish military museum just few minutes outside of State
          > College, PA, near Penn State. Can not for the life of me recall the name of
          >"" AA tank and/or a Priest
          > parked out in the elements.

          A followup to my earlier post

          Could this be The Pennsylvania Military Museum in Boalsburg PA? (mapquest
          shows that near State College)

          Neil shows them having An M3 halftrack, M4A1E8, M42 Duster (twin 40mm
          designed as an 'AA tank'), M59 APC M60A3 and M1917 He shows the M3 and teh
          M1917 'stored undergoing restoration'

          Bob Smart (bsmart@...)
        • Bob Smart
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 9, 2007
            [Somehow my first reply didn't make it to the list. So here it is]