Re: [G104] Re:History comes alive in shop class

  • rrunnersb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2007
      I spent a fair amount of time in Toronto (Kleinburg). How far is this Sherman located from Toronto?

      Jim

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
        It is in Etobicoke, the western part of Toronto proper, at Etobicoke
        Collegiate Institute.

        The vehicle being restored is the infamous Grizzly Ic Firefly, the only
        one in existence. I am going to contact the teacher on Monday and talk
        to him about the significance of this vehicle. Notwithstanding the
        enthusiasm & free restoration labour, I would hate to see such an
        important vehicle get a school hack job and lose any of the specific
        interior mods supposedly installed as part of the Firefly conversion.
        This needs to be photographed before, during and after everything they do.

        Paul

        rrunnersb@... wrote:

        > I spent a fair amount of time in Toronto (Kleinburg). How far is this
        > Sherman located from Toronto?
        >
        > Jim

      • Tankmodeler
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
          HL.Spoelstra@... wrote:

          > From Todays Toronto Globe and Mail:
          >
          > History comes alive in shop class
          > RACHEL DE LAZZER\

          I just had a chat with Mr. Carney and, after several of us enthusiasts
          have contacted him over the last couple of days, I can say he has a real
          feel for the significance of the vehicle he has in his shop.

          He is committed to getting the thing running, notwithstanding that it
          currently doesn't have an engine.

          The differential seems to be in reasonable shape as he was able to use
          the tillers to apply and even lock the brakes as they were moving the
          tank. This is good news, I believe.

          He is short technical information and looking to "the kindness of
          strangers" to help this project along.

          I have a wartime M4/M4A1 manual that I will be copying for him, however
          I want to approach the online community for additional help. If any of
          you have access to Continental engine manuals, illustrated parts books
          or NOS spares for an M4/M4A1, I would be interested in hearing from you.
          Given that this is a school, you have to know there is no money in the
          till for this sort of project, but Mr. Carney is game to try to raise
          money and to perform as complete a restoration as possible. He has a
          willing work force and may be able to barter labour for parts or
          services if it come to that. He will be setting up a restoration fund
          for donations and I'll keep you all in the loop on that as well.

          Finally, it has been a point of some discussion, but he absolutely
          confirms that this vehicle has had the co-driver's position filled with
          ammo racks and other Firefly fittings are inside, thus making this a
          bona fide Grizzly Ic Firefly.

          I hope some of you can help.

          Paul

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007