DD tanks

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 1999
      >From: "Bill Warnock" <indexred@...>
      >To: HL.Spoelstra@...
      >Subject: DD tanks
      >Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 19:43:44 PDT
      >
      >Hello Hanno,
      >
      >Which British and Canadian armored units were outfitted with DD tanks on
      >D-Day? I can't seem to find this information amidst my jumble of reference
      >material. My stuff seems to cover only the American units with only vague
      >references to the Brits and Canadians.
      >
      >Also, is it correct to say the twin propellers were geared to the track
      >idlers for power?
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >Bill
    • Peter Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 1999
        According to "History of the 13th/18th Hussars (Queen Mary's Own) 1922-1947"
        by Maj Gen C H Miller, DDs were used on D Day by -
        Nottinghamshire (Sherwood Rangers) Yeomanry and 4th/7th Dragoons in 8th
        Armoured Brigade supporting 50th Division on Gold Beach
        6th Canadian Armoured Regiment (1st Hussars) and 10th Canadian Armoured
        Regiment (Fort Garry Horse) in 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade supporting 3rd
        Canadian Division on Juno Beach
        13th/18th Hussars in 27th Armoured Brigade supporting 3rd British Division
        on Sword Beach

        US units were -
        70th Tank Battalion supporting 4th Infantry Divsion on Utah Beach
        743rd and 741st Tank Battalions supporting 1st Infantry Division on Omaha
        Beach
      • Hanno Spoelstra
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 1999