New Pictures from US Army- Germany

  • kgoode85@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
      G104-

      Posted in the Files:Surviving_Shermans: Germany are several new
      photos I was able to take this week while visiting the 1st Armor
      Division Museum in Baumholder, Germany.

      Dan Peterson, Museum Director, was very gracious and helpful. (he's
      also put me on the trail of several other M4's in Europe, one of
      which is in running condition and is operated by one of the Armor
      Battlions in the Division)

      Info on some of the Shermans and variants as follows:

      M4A3- Serial number stamped on the rear tow points- 49047.
      Registration # painted on the side- 3033859

      M7B2- Korean era veteran. Registration #- 40152257

      M3- rare, orginally found in Australia. Serial number stamped on the
      rear tow points- 4559. Registration #- 209132

      M10- Registration #- 40162837

      M4A1- Registration #- 3039572

      M32- no info

      There are no data plates for any of the vehicles and the museum is in
      the long process of sand-blasting, repainting, and trying to
      determine exact serial numbers, etc of all their AFV's. Over 50
      years of paint on some of them makes identification of numbers
      impossible. Also, it is not certain if the registration numbers on
      the sides of the vehicles is accurate.

      The Director extends his invitation to the group to contact him if he
      can be of any further assistance. The web site for the museum is:

      <http://www.baumholder.army.mil/museum/museum.htm>

      Enjoy, gentlemen. I hope I got most of it right. :-)

      God's speed-
      Keith Goode
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
        Excellent work Chaplain!

        Based on the info Joe DeMarco and I have complied, here's what we know about
        those vehicles:

        > M4A3- Serial number stamped on the rear tow points- 49047.
        > Registration # painted on the side- 3033859

        This is a M4A3(75)W built by Fisher Tank Arsenal in April, 1944. By our
        reckoning the R/N should be 3081644. The number you give might have been
        taken off a Detroit Tank Arsenal M4A3(76).

        > M7B2- Korean era veteran. Registration #- 40152257

        Our data shows that this was built by Pressed Steel Car. For that R/N, the
        S/N ought to be 53389. (There weren't 50,000 M7s made, this was just the
        assigned S/N range. It might have been an amended Sherman contract.)

        > M3- rare, orginally found in Australia. Serial number stamped on the
        > rear tow points- 4559. Registration #- 209132

        Built by Detroit Tank Arsenal, July, 1942, R/N 3058150, but if it was a
        Lend-Lease vehicle this number might never have been painted on it. In any
        case, all American tank registrations began with "30" (vs. Gun Motor
        Carriages which started "40"), so this may have been the Australian number.

        > M10- Registration #- 40162837

        No conclusive info. I'll have to dig a bit more when I get home tonight.

        > M4A1- Registration #- 3039572

        This comes up a Pullman Standard M4 or M4A2, S/N 31042 . . . 30_6_9572,
        however, was M4A1 S/N 36975 built by Pressed Steel Car.

        I'll open this up to discussion. . . Once it settles down, we'll pass this
        info and anything new on to Mr. Peterson.

        Thank again.