One of a kind/one of few Sherman survivors question.

  • Neil Baumgardner
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hello all, a question related to my ongoing development of the USA AFV
      Register - what are the "one of a kind," "one of a few," or otherwise
      rare Shermans that are out there?

      For example:

      Just three surviving CWS-POA-H5s right?: 29 Palms, Fort Leonard Wood,
      Jacksonville NC

      Is APG's M4A1(75) Sherman Calliope the only surviving Sherman Calliope?

      And of course the age-old-question, how many surviving DD Shermans are
      out there?

      How many surviving M4A3E2 Jumbos? They all seem to be called Cobra King
      BTW...

      Similarly, any other rate M3s other than SN 2 in Newark DE and the M3A4
      at the VMMV.

      And possibly off-topic for this group, any other surviving M2 mediums
      other than SN 2, RN 30445 at APG and the M2A1 at Knox (SN/RN?)?

      Neil
    • mykef2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2006
        Neil,
        The E13-13 flamethrower Sherman based on a small hatch M4A1 with hull
        reinforcements and the final version low bustle turret with loaders hatch,
        pistol port and cheek reinforcement was last seen at Fort Benjamin Harrison.
        (Page 412, Hunnicutt)

        It was standing by itself on a concrete pad near the Adjutant General
        school buildings.

        The Fort has been civilianized and I have never been able to find where
        the tank went, if anywhere.

        Any members in the Indianapolis area might be able to poke around there
        and see if the tanks were turned over also. IIRC there were also a M3 and a
        M5 Stuart in the park across from the Bean Building (appropriately named for
        the Finance Corps HQ.)

        hth,
        nike