M4 Early production track type

  • Scott Stathis
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 16, 2006
      Hi
      Guys

      I'm thinking about starting on my Tamiya 1/35 M4 early production kit but would like to replace the rubber band tracks with better after the market once. But I'm not sure what track type to look for. I'm thinking T48? But don't really know. So any advise would be helpful. Also, if anyone has built this kit please let me know anything to watch out for.

      Thanks
      Scott

      "Crunch, Crrunch, Crunch, goes the infantry"

    • Roy Chow
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 17, 2006
        Hi Scott:

        Here's a pretty comprehensive tweaks list for the Tamiya M4 kit.

        http://www.usarmymodels.com/MANUFACTURERS/Tamiya/tamiya35190.html

        For aftermarket replacements, you could go with T48, T41 or T51 -- these
        seem to be the ones found in photos the most with the M4.

        RHPS is the maker I would recommend. Or frankly, use the kit supplied
        T48s. Sherman kits don't suffer from using vinyl tracks, in my opinion.
        The Friul or Modelkasten indy links' strength is that they allow models to
        show some sag or what not. Sherman vehicles had little to no sag whatsoever
        -- so the advantage is only in the extra finesse of indy links (like the
        proper gaps between the links/pads).

        Formations models also makes a comprehensive resin upgrade for the Tamiya M4
        kit as well.

      • Scott Stathis
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 17, 2006
          Hey
          Roy

          Thanks for the info. I've seen that site before but forgot to bookmark it before I reformatted my computer.

          Thanks Again
          Scott

          Roy Chow <roy.chow@...> wrote: Hi Scott:

          Here's a pretty comprehensive tweaks list for the Tamiya M4 kit.

          http://www.usarmymodels.com/MANUFACTURERS/Tamiya/tamiya35190.html

          For aftermarket replacements, you could go with T48, T41 or T51 -- these
          seem to be the ones found in photos the most with the M4.

          RHPS is the maker I would recommend. Or frankly, use the kit supplied
          T48s. Sherman kits don't suffer from using vinyl tracks, in my opinion.
          The Friul or Modelkasten indy links' strength is that they allow models to
          show some sag or what not. Sherman vehicles had little to no sag whatsoever
          -- so the advantage is only in the extra finesse of indy links (like the
          proper gaps between the links/pads).

          Formations models also makes a comprehensive resin upgrade for the Tamiya M4
          kit as well.

          "Crunch, Crrunch, Crunch, goes the infantry"

        • petruspulcheruk
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 17, 2006
            Hi Roy, I agree with Scot, The best tracks for Sherman are the RHPS, well moulded and
            simply to assembly, but to be honest I never used them, I think that Tamiya tracks (as well
            Dragon and even Italeri) are more than acceptable for this tank. They should be always on
            a good tension unless for a damaged tank, where flexibility is fundamental or as spare
            tracks on the hull so vinyl and rubber ones are fine. Friulmodel are definitely the best one
            for German and some British tanks but not for a Sherman, they are to expensive and very
            difficult to put together, the final result doesn't pay the effort.
            About the type, I think that it depends more from the unit and the theatre of operation
            than from the sherman version, it seems there was a certain uniformity within the some
            units and a very mix in others, probably depending from the number of replacements due
            to casualties, so the only way to choose the tracks is to look at the pictures of the unit of
            the Sherman you are building. For example, 3-bars tracks are quite rare in ETO, not very
            common in Italy, but quite common in the Pacific, and a M4A3(76) of the 771st AB has
            definitely T48 but a identical tank in the 14th AD has invariably metal chevron.
            Pietro