mysterious comb device

    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 1999
      At 20:48 21-05-1999 EDT, Cookie Sewell <AMPSOne@...> wrote:

      >Oh -- on that pesky comb gizmo -- I saw a couple of good photos of it which
      >show that it is used as a quick tieoff for a tarp which fits over the
      >complete bow gun mount when the gun is installed. The ends simply hook onto
      >the comb, and since ropes stretch, there are several notches. There is a
      >similar one on the front left side of the M40 for a larger tarp.

      Yes, this is one of the reported uses. Most certainly possible when it is in
      its most common location - in front of the hull MG on the final drive housing.
      But since it can be found in other locations (in front of the driver's hatch
      on a Sherman TRV, for example) and other vehicles as well, I am sure this is
      a typical example of the difference between the intended use and the actual
      use of this fitting.

      My guess is that it was INTENDED as an antenna tie-down.