Re: LST 325 is in search of a sherman for our tank deck

  • kohout77
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
      --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, Russ Morgan <morganru@...> wrote:

      > Bob, I searched for years before I bought M4A3E9 #11965. They are
      hard to buy. I have been on LST 325 when it was in Mobile. A great
      project. Do you guys want to "buy" a Sherman or are you looking for
      a "free" Sherman? The only cheap ones I know of are owned by the
      government and they are pretty proud of them and seem to like letting
      them rust in bad climates. Good luck in your search and I hope your
      LST can shelter a Sherman out of the rain. Best wishes on the
      search. Russ Morgan

      and a fund drive started.We would cover cost's of transport And then
      we would crane it in to the tank deck keep it out of the weather.If
      you would like to see my grandfather's pic's go to Photobucket.com
      and look for Kohout77 he put them on the beach at Anzio thank's for
      your help

    • joseph.hall3@us.army.mil
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
        Mr Rutter-
        I'm an active duty Army Sr. NCO stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA.
        As you may or may not know, the Army is going through another down sizing in Europe. I left there late last year and many plans are being set in motion. Almost every kaserne there -kaserne is like a fort here in the states-has some sort of vehicle on display.I've been in touch with a few of the museum directors to see what was going to become of alot of these, since these things are every bit the veteran as the Soldiers who manned them. That's my opinion, but I believe it is shared by many like me. Some will be moved to kasernes that are still active, some will be put in a storage area, where they will probably finish out their days. Believe it or not, these things are still on the books and are accounted for and subject to inspection. Restorers will argue that they are just rotting away, which in reality, they are, but they are still government property. I had the good fortune to have permission from the Center for Military History to maintain a running M4A1 Sherman and sev
        eral halftracks while in Europe this last tour and even though it was all volunteer work and largely out of pocket, it is an experience I would never pass up.
        Anyway, you may want to get in touch with the Center for Military History, the keeper of all these artifacts. Using my name probably won't do you any good, since I'm just another small gear in the big green machine.
        I think it's worth a try for you. Hell, for an organization that can make a 60 year old ship seaworthy and then sail it accross the Atlantic this ought to be as easy as falling off a log!
        Please stay in touch and best of luck to you and all those involved in this worthwhile venture.
        Sincerely,
        Sergeant Major Joseph Hall
        Ft. Lewis WA

      • sarah474747@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
          Is armor from outside of the US allowed back in? I was under the impression that all armor outside of the US could not come back in??? Is this correct????

          Pete

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
            I'm not all up on the import/export rules, but like I said in the message-these things are still on the Government's books, like a Bradley Fight Vehicle or M1 tank. They are not US property that was sold off after the war or items being imported by private persons for their own use. It was a long shot suggestion to a private organization looking for help, not a private collector looking for another piece of armor for his collection. I didn't see a whole lot of people volunteering their privately owned Sherman tanks by donating them to this most worthwhile cause.
            I figured I'd start getting this traffic.

            > Is armor from outside of the US allowed back in? I was under the
            > impression that all armor outside of the US could not come back
            > in??? Is this correct????
            >
            > Pete

          • Rob
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
              I don't see where the State Dept would have any jurisdiction over a WWII
              Sherman that's army property any more than they would an M-1 or a Brad
              coming back to CONUS. Army stuff is Army stuff. I think those goofy
              rules about lend lease stuff only applies to equipment given to friendly
              foriegn countries then sold to private citizens who in turn sell "it" to
              a US citizen who wants to re-import it back here.

              Rob
              surfacing from deep lurk mode....

            • sarah474747@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006