total losses of shermans

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30 1:55 PM

    • AMPSOne@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30 4:55 PM
        This is going to be a tough one. I have been going over the 3AD totals and it
        is a really hard thing to deal with.

        First off, they don't list losses to any great degree in their morning
        reports, or in the combat logs. The finalized ones in the official history
        are ambiguous, as they tend to lump losses in one column and repairs in
        another, which skews things as some tanks were repaired and returned to
        service multiple times. Belton Cooper's book adds some fuel to that fire,
        commenting that a tank was only listed as a loss if totally burnt out, blown
        apart, or suffering any damage which destroyed the turret race area of the
        tank so that the gun and turret were unusable.

        Add to that when using the archive records (from US NARA II in College Park,
        where the records currently reside) the fact that many items received code
        names which have to be broken out first only adds to the problem. For them, a
        BOSTON was an M4 medium, a JAMES an M5A1 light, and a ST. LOUIS a halftrack.

        Cookie Sewell
        AMPS