Hunnicutt's Sherman to be reissued!

  • Kees Huyser
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2006
      Hunnicutt's "Sherman" is being reissued. The book has been out of
      print for over 10 years.
      GreatModels is taking pre-orders for $117 (SRP $130):
      http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=PRP0080

      So, if you paid more for your copy sell it now :-)

      --kees
    • Ray Merriam
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2006
        Well, I bought my copy for $75 a few years back from Motorbooks/Zenith Press
        duruing one of their stock-clearing sales. Note that the description on that
        web page claims "over 130" photos. Assuming they are reprinting the entire
        book, then it is _well_ over 130 photos - something like 500 as I recall.
        When this book was originally published by Presidio in the 1980s, the retail
        price was $95.00 (I was selling them at the time - I think I sold 2 or 3 at
        most as it was considered overpriced at the time). A check at the Stone &
        Stone web site shows that the book was published by Taurus in 1978, with the
        Presidio edition listed as being published in 1998, probably referring to
        the most recent reprint by them. There was no other info about the book,
        including nothing about a possible reprint by Presidio.

        Incidentally, Presidio was bought by Ballantine Books in 2002 and is now
        part of the Random House Publishing Group, a huge publishing conglomerate.
        Trust me, they ain't reprinting this book out of some sort of the kindness
        of their historically-minded hearts - it's pure corporate greed, as they've
        seen how the book is in such demand that people are willing to pay hundreds
        of dollars for used copies.

        I tried to find info on this possible reprint on the Presidio Press web
        site, which is now part of the Random House web site (and it is godawful
        slow to use). A search on Sherman brought up no results. A search on
        Hunnicutt brought up four of his books, the Armored Car, Halftrack, Bradley
        and Sheridan titles, but no Sherman.

        Here's the original 2002 press release of the acquisition:

        =================

        Random House Inc. continues to add to its publishing portfolio through niche
        purchases. In a deal announced last week, Random's Ballantine Books division
        acquired the military book publisher Presidio Press.

        Based in Novato, Calif., Presidio publishes about 25 titles annually in
        trade paperback and hardcover and has a backlist of about 150 titles.
        Ballantine will retain the Presidio name as an imprint. The company will
        stay at its present location, with Presidio president Richard Kane serving
        as publishing director, reporting to Ballantine president Gina Centrello.
        Kane said acquisition discussions were initiated by Ballantine as a way to
        expand its military book list, which had included about 200 titles. "The
        demand for titles about military affairs seldom wavers," Centrello
        explained, adding, "interest in the subject has greatly increased these past
        few months."

        Presidio was founded in 1974 as a publisher of scholarly military books, but
        by the early 1980s it had evolved into a publisher primarily of trade books
        with a focus on narrative history titles about World War II and the Vietnam
        War. Presidio has done very well with a series of books by Keith Nolan that
        began in the early 1980s with The Battle for Hue up through his most recent
        book, The Battle for Saigon. Other titles that have done well include With
        the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa and Common Sense Training.

        The company also publishes a limited number of novels and was the original
        publisher of Defcon One by Joe Weber. After publishing several books with
        Putnam, Weber has returned to Presidio, which has just released Dancing with
        the Dragon in a 25,000-copy first printing.

        ===================

        Can't wait for a reprint that might not materialize? Try Amazon where there
        are 10 copies available starting at $370. ABE Books has copies available
        through various dealers; last time I checked they had three available
        through the U.S. branch of ABE Books starting at $450.

        Also telling is the fact that it is being offered as a pre-order, with no
        guarantee given that there will be an actual reprint done. I assume they're
        testign the waters to see just how big a market there might be for this
        reprint.

        Sincerely,

        Ray Merriam
        Owner