Re: [G104] Fwd: looking for Sherman manuals for Sherman found in Iraq

  • Terry Warner
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25 4:03 PM
      Sgt Iverson:

      Stay Safe! The Sherman with the rotary aircraft engine is a well known
      model. Before trying to turn it over, the crank needs to turn over
      several times before firing the ignition. Guys walking the propellers
      on big WWII bombers around and around were doing it on purpose.

      The Armor Museum at Ft Knox should be your first point of contact for
      manuals and importing instructions. I think the curator is Chuck
      Lemons. There may be something special about the tank that will get the
      big boys on your side.

      If you have other tanks in the scrap yard, do yourself and the next
      generations of curators a big favor. Gather up as many lengths of
      track, as many rubber road wheels, and a couple of final drives (the big
      front end assembly that has the drive sprockets) as you can. These are
      consumables that might be good for trading .... Put them in tri-walls,
      cinch them up on pallets or chained on the back deck.

      And, don't let any 'hood graffitti artists "tag" the tank with braindead
      marks and slogans!

      Terry

      Hanno Spoelstra wrote:

      > >Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:17:22 -0700 (PDT)
      > >From: John Iversen <iversenjohnp@...
      > <mailto:iversenjohnp%40yahoo.com>>
      > >To: HL.Spoelstra@... <mailto:HL.Spoelstra%40inter.NL.net>
      > >
      > >My name is John Iversen, I am a SGT in the US Army, currently on my
      > second
      > rotation, we have found a Sherman tank and are looking for
      > manuals, it still has the rotary engine and we are trying to get it into a
      > serviceable condition to get it back state side for the museum. If
      > there is
      > any information, web sites with online manuals or such I would really
      > appreaciate it, and if you would like i could send photos of our progress.
      > Any help you could give us would be verry much appreciated
      > >
      > > Thank you
      > > John Iversen
      > > SGT US Army

    • Bob Smart
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25 6:15 PM
        Sgt Iverson

        I volunteer at the Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen. Have you tried contacting
        them or the Patton Museum at Ft Knox? I know The Patton Museum actually
        runs some of theirs. The ones at Aberdeen are strictly static displays but
        they have a very good Tech Manual collection

        If I can ask what do you mean by a 'Centurian Sherman'? That is one term I
        have never heard. Also which unit are you with?

        Bob Smart (bsmart@...)