M4A3

  • dlevydo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 13, 2000
      I am looking for an M4A3 Sherman. Does anybody know of one that is
      currently up for sale?
    • Russ Morgan
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 14, 2000
        What would be the price range of one that runs with alittle work? Russ

      • dlevydo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 14, 2000
          Russ,

          I am looking for one that is complete, and would run (with a little work). I
          would be looking to spend around $50K, give or take.

          Do you have or know of one that is for sale?

          Thanks for the reply,
          Dave
        • Russ Morgan
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 15, 2000
            M4A1 sold a couple of years ago for $50,000. It might be available. Russ
            Morgan (I run an M5A1 "Stuart" easy to move!)

          • rrunnersb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 15, 2000
              I am also looking for a Sherman. Does not have to running, can be just for
              display. If you find any you are not interested in please e-mail. I am in
              Michigan
            • rrunnersb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 15, 2000
                I have not found one just yet as I just started looking for one. This spring
                I missed one that had been on display at a nearby high school for years.
                Knowing the Mayor and everyone else in the city they were trying to get rid
                of it for years. I would have been happy to make a great contribution but
                alas while I was overseas the army came and snatched it and is taking it to
                West Point. The city with their many questions on how to get rid of it to the
                department of defense must have triggered something.

                Jim
              • rrunnersb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 15, 2000
                  Russ,

                  I am looking for a Sherman. Non running display is ok as I have a large
                  industrial site and it would make a great marker at one end in a secure
                  fenced area. If I was to find an operational one it would have to be ready to
                  go. 40 to 50 tops for money.

                  Jim
                • Joseph DeMarco
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 15, 2000
                    Jim

                    I think the tank you mentioned may now be in a storage yard at Fort Knox.
                    It is an M4A3(76)HVSS, painted pea green with numerous layers
                    of peeling latex paint. The mechanic said they got it from a school
                    near Detroit ( Harper Woods?) & it was filled with tons of trash, literally.

                    I took some shots of it this summer. Check photos 23 & 24:

                    http://photomail.photoworks.com/sharing/album.asp?Key=8161453912240604

                    Look familiar?

                    It would be nice if they had a Sherman at West Point, but I didn't get the
                    impression that it would be leaving Fort Knox anytime soon...

                    Seems everybody wants a Sherman.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 15, 2000
                      > Seems everybody wants a Sherman.
                      >
                      > Joe

                      Does SECO still have those IDF vehicles down in Carolina?

                      KL
                    • Mike & Andrea Canaday
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 15, 2000
                        While we are on the subject. Are there any Shermans in and around Lake
                        County Fla? Taveres/Leesburg/ etc?
                        Thanks
                        Mike Canaday
                      • HL.Spoelstra@inter.NL.net
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 16, 2000
                          At 23:37 15-11-2000 -0500, Kurt Laughlin wrote:
                          >> Seems everybody wants a Sherman.
                          >>
                          >> Joe
                          >
                          >Does SECO still have those IDF vehicles down in Carolina?

                          See pictures of what Joe saw at SECO in March of this year:
                          http://www.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/seco.htm

                          Get one of those Sextons while they last!

                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 16, 2000
                            > >Does SECO still have those IDF vehicles down in Carolina?
                            >

                            > See pictures of what Joe saw at SECO in March of this year:
                            > http://www.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/seco.htm
                            >
                            > Get one of those Sextons while they last!

                            Actually, I was thinking of M50s or M51s somewhere.

                            ???

                            KL
                          • Joseph DeMarco
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 16, 2000
                              I heard the M50 that was in Kinston, North Carolina was finally
                              sold. Hope it gets restored & we have a chance to see it sometime.

                              I think the reason it languished so long in that yard is because
                              most collectors in the States want an "American" Sherman.
                              I think that is why those Sextons in Georgia haven't found good homes.
                              Those are probably the least expensive WW II AFV's around.

                              Most of the Grizzly's I've seen are tricked out as US Shermans.
                              Some guys go so far as to put stowage on the front to hide what
                              they think is the "Grizzly badge." (They need to have a look at
                              Kurt's Foundry symbol piece.)

                              As for Shermans near Leesburg, Florida, I have a rumor of one
                              about an hour down US 27 in Avon Park "near the bombing range."
                              That could be anything green with tracks.

                              All the other Florida Shermans are 3 or more hours away from Leesburg.
                              There's some excellent largemouth bass fishing down that way...

                              Joe
                            • tlitwil@visto.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 17, 2000
                                I believe that there is an M-7 Priest at the VFW hall in Gainsville,
                                unfortunately they painted it and their M-42 Duster in Desert Storm
                                markings.
                              • John Henry
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 17, 2000
                                  The M50 now resides in the Pocono Mtns. of Pennsylvania. It is currently
                                  undergoing a complete restoration.When finished it will join a pool
                                  consisting of an M4A1(76W)HVSS,a Sexton , a M16 Halftrack and a LVT4. All
                                  fully Restored.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 17, 2000
                                    John, is that LVT4 at Frank Bucks or David Umalla? Thanks for any details
                                    on a LVT. I am gathering LVT3 parts and infor for two restorations projects
                                    I bought. Russ Morgan in Colorado

                                  • dondoom@msn.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 17, 2000
                                      --- In G104@egroups.com, "Joseph DeMarco" <snick@c...> wrote:
                                      > I heard the M50 that was in Kinston, North Carolina was finally
                                      > sold. Hope it gets restored & we have a chance to see it sometime.
                                      >
                                      > I think the reason it languished so long in that yard is because
                                      > most collectors in the States want an "American" Sherman.
                                      > I think that is why those Sextons in Georgia haven't found good
                                      homes.
                                      > Those are probably the least expensive WW II AFV's around.
                                      >
                                      > Most of the Grizzly's I've seen are tricked out as US Shermans.
                                      > Some guys go so far as to put stowage on the front to hide what
                                      > they think is the "Grizzly badge." (They need to have a look at
                                      > Kurt's Foundry symbol piece.)
                                      >
                                      > As for Shermans near Leesburg, Florida, I have a rumor of one
                                      > about an hour down US 27 in Avon Park "near the bombing range."
                                      > That could be anything green with tracks.
                                      >
                                      > All the other Florida Shermans are 3 or more hours away from
                                      Leesburg.
                                      > There's some excellent largemouth bass fishing down that way...
                                      >
                                      > Joe

                                      I just went thru avon park via 27 and the only thing I saw and took
                                      some pictures of was an I beleve is spa 8" an M107? I lost/misplaced
                                      my book on modern art. I will up load the picture as soon as I had
                                      them done.

                                      Don
                                    • rrunnersb@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 21, 2000
                                        Thanks for the pics of the Sherman from MI. #23& #24. I just showed our
                                        family (kids) as when little we used to take pictures of them on the tank.
                                        That tank has been many colors - even pink. Every year the Grad class of High
                                        School painted it a different color. What a mess!

                                        Jim
                                      • dondoom@msn.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 3, 2000
                                          Finaly got the picture made of the spa I found in avon park fla.
                                          Don
                                        • tlitwil@visto.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 12, 2001
                                            Just wanted to correct myself on this post. I was in Gainesville FL
                                            this weekend and managed to stop and check the tanks. one is an M-42
                                            Duster and the other is a SPH based on the M-41 hull. Fortunately
                                            they have been repainted since I was there last year, now a nice
                                            shade of OD (were desert storm tans and browns).

                                            --- In G104@y..., tlitwil@v... wrote:
                                            > I believe that there is an M-7 Priest at the VFW hall in
                                            Gainsville,
                                            > unfortunately they painted it and their M-42 Duster in Desert Storm
                                            > markings.
                                          • tp35601
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 13, 2005
                                              Did the British use any M4A3 Shermans? I am a newbe to the AFV hobby and I have read that the UK only used the M4, M4A1, M4A2, and the M4A4 Shermans. The reason that I ask is that I have started collecting die-cast tanks and Corgi and FOV both have UK Tanks that they say are M4A3 Shermans. Thanks.
                                            • ericadeane
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 14, 2005
                                                Hello tp35601:

                                                According to records, the British were alloted only a few (I think
                                                ten) for evaluation purposes.

                                                Now either Corgi and FOV have mislabelled their kits or they are
                                                trying to push on their M4A3s as historically accurate (which it's
                                                not). Even die hard injection model companies make mistakes so we
                                                ought not be surprised.
                                              • ceolredmonger
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Oct 17, 2005
                                                  I seem to recall it was eight or nine supplied, so none would have
                                                  been supported in the front line.

                                                  If the model is the one I think, one variant offered is a wet
                                                  stowage layout hull, painted and boxed as representing an El Alemein
                                                  vehicle. Well out of the time scale whatever the engine.

                                                  Keith

                                                  --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "ericadeane" <roy.chow@a...> wrote:

                                                  > Hello tp35601:
                                                  >
                                                  > According to records, the British were alloted only a few (I think
                                                  > ten) for evaluation purposes.
                                                  >
                                                  > Now either Corgi and FOV have mislabelled their kits or they are
                                                  > trying to push on their M4A3s as historically accurate (which it's
                                                  > not). Even die hard injection model companies make mistakes so we
                                                  > ought not be surprised.

                                                • Peter Brown
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Oct 17, 2005
                                                    Total M4A3 assigned to the UK was seven, all were sent before the end of December 1943 and would have been 75mm small-hatch tanks.
                                                    Models showing large-hatch and/or 105mm guns are not accurate, more a case of companies using existing models with new paint finishes

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Oct 19, 2005
                                                      At 13:13 14-10-2005 -0000, you wrote:
                                                      >According to records, the British were alloted only a few (I think
                                                      >ten) for evaluation purposes.

                                                      See http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/gbdesig.htm for British
                                                      designations for US medium tanks and related AFVs. For a number of types I
                                                      have listed the numbers supplied.
                                                      I would be greatful for any corrections, comments and/or additional
                                                      information so I can complete the page.

                                                      Thanks,