[G104] Oldest Sherman

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2006
      Hi Neil,

      The parts laying around at the VMMV look like they all came off the M10 they are restoring a couple sheds down.

      Unless the T6 Pilot or Lima # T-25189 are laying around forgotten on ranges at APG or elsewhere, "Michael" would have to be the oldest surviving Sherman.
      Another Lima built M4A1 with their logo & an exact build number (+ 1000) stamped on the right front has shown up recently at Ft. Leonard Wood.
      I'm very curious to know if "Michael" has that, but doubt the Museum people would want to fool with that display by sanding the area.
      If it does have it have it, I expect "LIMA 1002" would be stamped on.

      The Pressed Steel Car built M4A1 at the VMMV is probably the oldest surviving Sherman in running condition. That was one of 4 M4A1s sent to the Canadians as direct Lend Lease. It appears to have spent the war years in Canada, & was used as a "model" in 1943 for Grizzly stowage. At the time it had M3 style bogies. That ended up being sent to Portugal with a bunch of Grizzlies, then the UK, then the US.

    • David Barber
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2006
        Dear Joe,
        Was the M4A1 recently found at Ft. Leonard Wood converted to an M4A1E9? I was there 17 years ago and there was a M4A1E9 on a pad near the theater. Is this the same one? If I find the picture, I will scan it and send it to the group.

        Sincerely,
        Dave Barber
        a 1st time replyer

        Joe DeMarco <snick1@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Carl Brown
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 27, 2008
          Joe

          If your out there I have tried sending an e mail to you and it keeps
          bouncing back. Has your address changed ?

          Please reply off list please with current address.

          Regards

          Carl Brown