Re: [G104] Re: New Sherman Tank in Town!!!

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
      Hi Steve,

      As you know, I like to keep a record of surviving Shermans & Stuarts
      in the US & Canada.
      The other Shermans/variants in Oregon I'm aware of are at Camp Withycombe.
      Along with the M4A3(75)VVSS that's in your photos, it was reported they have
      an M7B1. Did you see that there last week? It's also been rumored that there
      may be one or two other Shermans there, possibly on a range?

      A while back on this DG, a couple guys mentioned some Shermans/ Stuarts(?)
      converted to logging machines they saw along your highways & byways.
      Someone said something about one in Roseburg along I-5, but they never
      reported back to the DG with any definite info or pix.
      Have you ever seen anything like that in your travels?
      Do you know if yours is the only Stuart in Oregon?

      Best

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2006
        Joe,
        The M7B1 is on static display at Camp Withycombe. I have seen a couple
        old Sherman hulls that were modified by loggers around Oregon several
        years ago. I have not come across any recently. As fas as I know I have
        the only M3A1 in Oregon. there is a M5A1 in Woodland, WA. that is in
        the process of being restored. There are a few M3A1's in WA. on static
        display.
        Steve
      • joseph.hall3@us.army.mil
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 6, 2006
          There is an M3 Stuart rotting away at Camp Murray, right accross the street from Fort Lewis. My initial inquiries last year to at least clean it up and get a good coat of paint on it were met with silence. I'll re-engage this summer. The best thing would be to simply steal it and stuff it in my garage.
          I saw, very quickly, a "logging Sherman" about 2 weeks ago, on the side of I-5 just south of I think Chehails, WA. No superstructure above the fenders, but even painted fire engine red, it was hard to miss the suspension. No idea of condition, running, etc.

          While I was in Baumholder, we were kicking around returning an M7B to an M7. We figured that shortening the pulpit mount was the easy part, just cut out the extension piece welded into it. The hard part was to lower the gun trunion back to original height. Was do-able, but we lacked the lift capability to get the gun out. Since we would not have been using it, well, firing it anyway, we planned to remove the extended blocks under the trunion, that raised the height of the gun, and just reweld them to the hull floor bracing. OIF got in the way, and then I moved to Fort Lewis, but believe that you only have to undo the modifications to have an accurate M7.
          Joe Hall
          Ft. Lewis, WA

          > The M7B1 is on static display at Camp Withycombe. I have seen a
          > couple
          > old Sherman hulls that were modified by loggers around Oregon
          > several
          > years ago. I have not come across any recently. As fas as I know I
          > have
          > the only M3A1 in Oregon. there is a M5A1 in Woodland, WA. that is
          > in
          > the process of being restored. There are a few M3A1's in WA. on
          > static
          > display.
          > Steve

        • binder5295
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 6, 2006
            > While I was in Baumholder, we were kicking around returning an M7B to
            an M7. We figured that shortening the pulpit mount was the easy part,
            just cut out the extension piece welded into it. The hard part was to
            lower the gun trunion back to original height. Was do-able, but we
            lacked the lift capability to get the gun out. Since we would not have
            been using it, well, firing it anyway, we planned to remove the
            extended blocks under the trunion, that raised the height of the gun,
            and just reweld them to the hull floor bracing. OIF got in the way, and
            then I moved to Fort Lewis, but believe that you only have to undo the
            modifications to have an accurate M7.
            > Joe Hall
            > Ft. Lewis, WA

            Don't forget the M7B2 was built on the M7B1, which was built on the
            M4A3 tank chassis versus the M7 being built on the M3 chassis. In the
            end, one COULD un-rebuild an M7B2 back to an M7B1, but never an M7.

            Gary
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
              Steve, thanks for the comfirm about the M7B1 at Camp Withycombe. I think it would be nice if there was at least one Sherman & Stuart in every state in the Union.
              You are doing a fine job as the sole representative of the Stuart in Oregon!

              Hi Mr. Hall,
              You won't mind if I add "Logging Sherman seen 2006 by Joe Hall on I-5, south of Chehalis" to my notes?
              If you ever find yourself back that way with a camera, would you stop & take a photo, & post a little report?
              Do you know if the two M4A1(76)s you have at Ft. Lewis were sent back from US Army bases in Europe?
              Was thinking they might be former French Shermans.

              >Don't forget the M7B2 was built on the M7B1, which was built on the
              >M4A3 tank chassis versus the M7 being built on the M3 chassis. In the
              >end, one COULD un-rebuild an M7B2 back to an M7B1, but never an M7.

              Gary, the WW II Veh. Museum in Hubbard, Ohio has a marvelous example of an M7B1 that was converted back from an M7B2. IIRC, the owner said that was a LOT of work. Many modelers have tried it with the Italeri M7 Priest kit, but because of the riveted lower hull, it would be darn near impossible to convert a real M7 built after 3/44 back into one of the ones built 8/43 & earlier.

              My brother sent an article entitled, "A Collection of Things That Go Boom!" that appeared last week in the Wall St. Journal. The reporter interviewed Dr. Atwater who seemed to confirm that the Ordnance Museum at APG is slated to move to Ft. Lee, Va. by 2009 (although Atwater thought with typical gov't. delays it would probably be later than that). The article appeared to suggest there will be facilities at Ft. Lee to house & display the entire collection, instead of just the 5% they currently have in their building. If that were actually to be the case, even as someone who frequents the Ord. Museum, I guess I would be in favor of the move. However, I can't imagine the Gov't will ever alot the necessary funds for that, & it would be a shame if the collection simply sat around or disappeared for 20 years at Ft. Lee.

              _

            • joseph.hall3@us.army.mil
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
                I certainly will. As a matter of fact, it was so intriguing, I may make a special trip.
                I'll check with the Museum Director and see if he knows the origins of the M4A1s.