Re: Yugoslavian M4A3E4, M32, & M36 photo links

  • binder5295
    Message 1 of 3 , May 21, 2006
      Thanks Chris! Those are some decent photos of an unusual variant. One
      of those needs a better home.

      Gary
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22, 2006
        Chris, thanks for the heads up about the Yugoslavian
        Shermans/variants! That guy's pix are almost as good as
        looking through one of your CDs. ;-)

        The M4A3E4 labeled "Sherman_iz_Apac" looks like it has
        a low bustle turret retrofitted with a loader's hatch.
        It would appear that the original turret basket has been
        "skeletonized" by removing most of the perforated sheet
        metal "walls."

        The gent took photos of the other M4A3E4 at two
        different times, once with the turret facing backward.
        That one has a General Steel high bustle turret typical of most
        M4A3(75) W's, but without the armored periscope cover.
        The gun shield with the exposed bolts on the right is not typical
        of an "as built."
        The turret serial number looks to be 6474, which is very close
        to the serial numbers of some of the casualty D78461 turrets
        on display around Bastogne. That one remained in service long
        enough to have had the spotlight fittings removed & the smoke
        mortar hole welded over.
        The tiny gun travel lock that both of those have on the back is
        kind of interesting.

        Both hulls have late features, such as the lifting rings on the glacis
        mounted outboard. It looks like they might still have their dataplates
        with a smaller plate right below, possibly from whoever did the
        M4A3E4 conversion.