Re: Stupid Sherman model question..

  • binder5295
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2006
      There are options for the old Mongram "beater". The M4 isn't too bad
      if you give it a LOT of work. The M4A1 "Screaming Mimi" has the
      wider M34A1 gun mount, while the M4 "Hedgehog" kit has the early
      verion. One can swap gun mounts and have an M4A1, direct vision,
      with early gun mount riding on M3-style bogies. A pretty good start
      for Tunisia or Sicily (or even one of those that showed up again in
      the Seventh Army near the end of the war). The wide gun mount can be
      traded to the M4. Add putty or applique to the front of the driver's
      hoods, and add hull applique. Get a Forces Of Valor diecast and
      plastic M4A3 for the straight arm VVSS and decent T48 track. Either
      build new aircleaners or rob them from a 21st Century Toys M4. The
      21C toy/model can also donate the M34A1 gun mount if you don't have
      an M4A1 laying around. It could donate the suspension, but 21C
      develpoed it from a Tamiya kit, so it has raised arm return rollers.
      You could take the T34 rocket launcher from the M4A1 kit and add it
      to your newly modified M4 to get a more typical M4 with Calliope.
      Lots of possibilities!

      I used parts from 21C and FoV with the Monogram T34 launcher to get a
      Sherman Calliope for my 1/32nd toy soldiers display. It's no contest
      model, but it sure was fun to fool around with.

      By the way, in the US both 21st Century and Forces of Valor vehicles
      have been marketed at WalMart under their Motorworks label. That
      brings the price down on the parts donors.

      Gary Binder
      (stil haven't outgrown 1/32nd scale)
    • Richard Isner
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2006
        Hi, Steve,

        That kit basically took the old M3 hull and gave it more mileage! It
        was fun though! You would want to do something with the air cleaners on
        the hull rear. Technically, you could have a tank the made it to Europe
        with the M3 style old bogies, but I have never seen a picture with one
        have the rocket launcher and the older bogies. You might want to see
        about pirating some bogies from an old Tamiya M10 or M36. They are
        simple, but about 1/32 scale.

        Have fun,
        Richard Isner