History behind Sherman Crab "AVALON" in Overloon, The Netherlands???

  • alex_vandewetering
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8 1:58 AM
      Does anyone know the story behind the Sherman Crab named "AVALON"
      displayed in the War museum in Overloon, The Netherlands??

      Is this really the orginal registration and name of this Crab? Are
      there any period shots of this specific Sherman in action? Does anyone
      know how it ended up in the museum? Is this one of the vehicles that
      were actually put out of action on the extact spot where the museum is
      now or was it taken from somewhere else?

      regards,

      Alex van de Wetering, The Netherlands

      p.s. I have allready contacted the museum, but no luck so far. I guess
      that the people who would know the answer to the questions above are
      no longer with the museum.
    • wwwpanserdk
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10 1:59 AM
        --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "alex_vandewetering" <Abarth_torino@...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone know the story behind the Sherman Crab named "AVALON"
        > displayed in the War museum in Overloon, The Netherlands??

        [snip]

        > p.s. I have allready contacted the museum, but no luck so far. I
        > guess
        > that the people who would know the answer to the questions above are
        > no longer with the museum.

        Thats odd, I got a "Museumsparkf├╝hrer" from ca. 1989 which says (in my
        translation from German):

        "The mineclearing tank on display belonged to the British 79. Armoured
        Division (22nd Dragoons) and took an active part in the last phase of
        the battle at Overloon. It was later put out of action in Nordlimburg.
        A German Panzerfaust fired from about 60 meters away penetrated the
        steel armour at high velocity [sic]. Due the the intense heat, the
        shells carried in the tank exploded."

        Its been suggested that the tank was one of those left behind after the
        battle for Blerick, near Venlo, which seems to fit with the Nord-
        Limburg location mentioned.

        See these links:
        http://home.tiscali.nl/hgmkuip/blerick/diarynotesdragoons.html
        http://home.tiscali.nl/hgmkuip/blerick/