Re: [G104]

  • Tankmodeler
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
      Tony Salotti wrote:

      >HI EVERYONE
      >
      > I'VE ALWAYS BEEN INTERESTED IN THE CANADIANS IN WORLD WAR 2.I KNOW THEY USED THE SHERMAN M4A4(MK V ), BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THEY USED THE M4A3(MK IV) OPERATIONALLY IN WW2.I KNOW THEY USED THE MK IV IN KOREA.
      >
      >THANKS

      Tony,

      Just to start, please don't type all in capitals, on the Net it
      indicates that you are shouting and is generally interpreted as rude. I
      dare say this is not what you mean at all, but just for your information.

      As to the M4A3 in Canadian service, neither we nor any of the other
      Commonwealth countries used the M4A3 in WW 2. Only a few M4A3 75 were
      made available to the UK as trials vehicles, but the US kept the rest
      for their own use, preferring the Ford GAA engine as their preferred mount.

      In Korea we used some M4A3 76W as replacements for our M10 17 pdrs
      (Achilles) that the Lord Strathcona's were using. The US didn't want
      another type of armoured vehicle in their zone and so we got M4A3s for
      the duration. After the war we reverted to M4A2 75W vehicles.

      During the war we also used M4, M4A1 and M4A2 along with the M4A4. The
      M4A3s were the only ones we didn't use.

      HTH

      Paul
    • tentontommy
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
        --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, Tankmodeler <tankmodeler@...> wrote:

        > Tony Salotti wrote:
        >
        > >HI EVERYONE
        > >
        > > I'VE ALWAYS BEEN INTERESTED IN THE CANADIANS IN WORLD WAR
        2.I KNOW THEY USED THE SHERMAN M4A4(MK V ), BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW
        IF THEY USED THE M4A3(MK IV) OPERATIONALLY IN WW2.I KNOW THEY USED
        THE MK IV IN KOREA.

        > >THANKS
        > >
        > Tony,
        >
        > Just to start, please don't type all in capitals, on the Net it
        > indicates that you are shouting and is generally interpreted as
        rude. I
        > dare say this is not what you mean at all, but just for your
        information.

        > As to the M4A3 in Canadian service, neither we nor any of the
        other
        > Commonwealth countries used the M4A3 in WW 2. Only a few M4A3 75
        were
        > made available to the UK as trials vehicles, but the US kept the
        rest
        > for their own use, preferring the Ford GAA engine as their
        preferred mount.

        > In Korea we used some M4A3 76W as replacements for our M10 17 pdrs
        > (Achilles) that the Lord Strathcona's were using. The US didn't
        want
        > another type of armoured vehicle in their zone and so we got M4A3s
        for
        > the duration. After the war we reverted to M4A2 75W vehicles.
        >
        > During the war we also used M4, M4A1 and M4A2 along with the M4A4.
        The
        > M4A3s were the only ones we didn't use.
        >
        > HTH
        >
        > Paul

        Thanks for the info Paul.This is a great site,very informative.

        Tony
      • Tankmodeler
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2006
          Tony,

          Slight correction. After WW II and Korea we were equipped with M4A2 _76_
          W not the 75 version. Sorry about that.

          Paul