Re: Danish Army M32B1

  • wwwpanserdk
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
      --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DeMarco" <snick1@e...> wrote:

      > Hi Claus,
      >
      > Hope things are good with you.
      > A couple possibilities for your numbers...
      > <SNIP>
      > It's always a pleasure to hear about your research of Shermans, M10s
      > & such in Denmark. If you ever have a chance to examine the M32B1,
      > I suspect you might find the (M4A1) build number stamped into the
      side(s)
      > towards the rear. Would guess S/N 555 would have something like 551
      > stamped on it. If you can get inside, you might also find the
      serial number
      > of the upper hull casting (Part No. E4153) on the firewall. Chris
      Hughes
      > recently found "SER 525" on the M4A1 in Chino, Ca. (That one has
      > 786 stamped on the side of the hull.) The hullls of those represent
      > examples of M4A1s built by Pressed Steel Car in 1942.

      Unfortunately, getting inside that M32B1 will require a torch, as it
      is welded shut. Also, it has 25 years worth of paint on the hull, so
      it will require a good, deep, scratch to find any numbers stamped on
      the hull. But should the opportunity arise...... :-)

      There is a cast marking on the differential housing, dont know if
      that is of any interest:

      "C" in an octagonal followed by E 4186

      Below that:

      2 B354
      LO

      Claus B
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2006
        >There is a cast marking on the differential housing, dont know if
        >that is of any interest:
        >
        >"C" in an octagonal followed by E 4186
        >2 B354
        >LO

        Sure, Claus, thanks. I added that to my notes.
        Guess it can't hurt to record as much info about a particular vehicle as
        circumstances will permit. If you ever have a chance, would you give
        a little report about the various numbers that can be found on Denmark's
        surviving M4A3s?

        There's a gent in Belgium who has a running M32B1. He's interested in all
        the surviving examples. I'm pretty sure he's aware of "yours."
        Right off the top of my head, here's the ones I can think of:

        Belgium X 2
        Denmark
        Germany
        Great Britain
        Greece X 2(?)
        Israel
        Italy
        Japan
        Mexico
        South Africa
        US X 3

        Any others?

        Joe
      • wwwpanserdk
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006
          --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DeMarco" <snick1@...> wrote:

          > >There is a cast marking on the differential housing, dont know if
          > >that is of any interest:
          > >
          > >"C" in an octagonal followed by E 4186
          > >2 B354
          > >LO
          >
          > Sure, Claus, thanks. I added that to my notes.
          > Guess it can't hurt to record as much info about a particular
          vehicle as
          > circumstances will permit. If you ever have a chance, would you
          give
          > a little report about the various numbers that can be found on
          Denmark's
          > surviving M4A3s?

          I'll keep it in mind, certainly :-)

          Claus B