Re: [G104] Re: Armor DVD/Videos

  • Ray Merriam
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 13, 2005
      Incidentally, the book MASH was written by a Korean War Army surgeon (there were several titles he wrote featuring the same characters) and while the book is definitely anti-war (and not specifically anti-Vietnam War), it is mostly just a black comedy and the movie as usual does it an injustice.

      Here's a stretch - "Buck Privates" with Abbott and Costello (with the Three Stooges, definitely my favorite comedy movie geniuses) includes footage of, I believe, M3 light tanks during manuevers being "bombed" by aircraft using sacks of flour to represent the bombs. Probably Army footage obtained by the movie company.

      Another movie (the name of which escapes me) with Jimmy Durante (and another comedy actor whose name I cannot recall at the moment) has some great footage of, I think, M2 combat cars, moving at high speed in some scenes as I recall. Only saw this once many years ago and a hilarious movie (circa just prior to U.S. entry into the war).

      "Dirty Dozen" of course has that BIG German half-track (SdKfz 7?).

      "1941" has an M3 medium tank and that 40mm Bofors AA gun. Goofy movie, of course, but worth it to see the equipment.

      Somebody should make a DVD set with nothing but scenes of the good stuff - the vehicles, aircraft, etc. - in all these movies for us to drool over without having to suffer through some of the turkeys they put this stuff in.

      Sincerely,

      Ray Merriam
      Owner
      Merriam Press
      World War II military history publisher
      218 Beech Street
      Bennington VT 05201 USA

      Phone: 802-447-0313
      E-mail: ray@...
      Web site: http://www.merriam-press.com

      RAY-

      Great movie list. I agree totally with you about those movies. Kellys
      Heroes is not a WWII movie, it is an anti-Vietnam War movie, set in WWII. Just
      as MASH is an anti-Vietnam War movie set in the Korean War.

      Vintage Video has a movie called The Tanks Are Coming 1941 that shows
      pre-WWII US Army tanks in a recruiting movie. Lots of good pre-war US Army footage.

      Downfall while mostly on the Fuhrerbunker and Hitler has some good mock up
      Tiger I and other vehicles too.

      Mike

    • mcreek25@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 13, 2005
        In a message dated 11/13/2005 11:03:57 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        raymond.merriam@... writes:

        Another movie (the name of which escapes me) with Jimmy Durante (and another
        comedy actor whose name I cannot recall at the moment) has some great
        footage of, I think, M2 combat cars, moving at high speed in some scenes as I
        recall. Only saw this once many years ago and a hilarious movie (circa just prior
        to U.S. entry into the war).

        This is probably The Tanks are Coming that I recently mentioned. It is not
        Jimmy Durante but an actor with a similar face. The guy who was "Abner" in
        the Bewitched TV series.

        Caught in the Draft with Bob Hope. A similar pre-war comedy with combat car
        scenes.

      • Russ Morgan
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005
          Ray, I think if you researched it, you would find that "1941" has a Speilberg M7 plus fiberglass. Last I heard, it was owned by the guy in Utah. Have fun Russ Morgan M5A1 #5160

[...]

          **Please trim your replies**
          **Do not post in HTML or "Rich Text" mode**
          **Plain ASCII Text only please**
          **Attachments will be stripped**
        • Ray Merriam
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005
            There is a 1951 movie titled "The Tanks Are Coming", which I probably saw many, many years ago but it doesn't really register in my (admittedly getting feeble) mind:

            http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=112683

            The same site also lists a 1941 movie by the same name wih no review or details other than to list it as a "war drama/propaganda film":

            http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=300683

            This particular film was a two-reel short nominated for an Academy Award in the "Short Film - Two Reel" category (didn't win) and it is listed as being produced by the U.S. Army.

            [Slightly off the topic of this thread: I Googled the title of the movie and coming in fifth and sixth in the results on the first page were one of my books about the liberation of the Santo Tomas Internment Camp in Manila in February 1945, which is titled "Roll Out the Barrel, The Tanks Are Coming" (there were Shermans involved in the liberation of the camp; the book was written by one of the members of the tank company involved).]

            A couple more mentions of the 1951 movie in the results, but that was all. Nothing about Durante or "Abner" from Bewitched. So I tried going at it the other way and searched for Durante and got his filmography and the movie was "You're in the Army Now" and the other actor was Phil Silvers (of Sgt. Bilko fame):

            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034411/

            One reviewer stated on the page that it was one of the funniest (clean humor) movies of all time and I have to agree. If I recall correctly, there's a scene with a tank (driven by Durante) and a house on a hill that is bust-a-gut hilarious. Trivia: A kiss in the movie between Jane Wyman and Regis Toomey is, to date (1999), the longest kiss in film history, lasting three minutes and five seconds (I don't recall that at all, but I was pretty young when I saw the movie and was just getting into my "WWII history" madness).

            Ray

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005
              What about "The Tanks are Comming?" lots of Shermans

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 6, 2005
                Richard

                I've just had a chance to look over your web site. And yes I'd like to order a DVD. The modern armor one wasn't listed but I think I would like it. What is the process for ordering?

                Jim

                Richard Isner <tankboy1@...> wrote:
                Hi, James,

                I produce a variety of titles of DVDs and tapes of armor and battle
                reenactments. Tankvideo.com has videos featuring running, restored
                vehicles, and reenactments, such as those at Fort Knox and Indiantown
                Gap. The website is undergoing some rebuild, but it should give you
                some indication of what is available. You mentioned modern armor. I
                recently produced a video featuring an hour of tanks, including M60,
                Challenger, T-72, Swiss PZ68 and more! I am producing a video now that
                features footage of a Jagdpanther that I took over three days in
                England! Feel free to contact me directly to find out more or to place
                an order.

                Sincerely,
                Richard Isner

                James Donaldson wrote:

                > Does anyone have a favorite DVD or video they would recommend? I'm looking for modern as well as Worl War II.
                >
                > There are plenty of Aircraft ones, but I've found only a couple of armor ones. And pretty generic one's at that.
                >
                > TIA
                >
                > Jim

                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > **Please trim your replies**
                > **Do not post in HTML or "Rich Text" mode**
                > **Plain ASCII Text only please**
                > **Attachments will be stripped**

                **Please trim your replies**
                **Do not post in HTML or "Rich Text" mode**
                **Plain ASCII Text only please**
                **Attachments will be stripped**

                ---------------------------------

              • Richard Isner
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 7, 2005
                  Hi, James,

                  Happy Holidays! All you have to do is send me a check or money order
                  made out to me....Richard Isner....

                  The address is 14302 Springfield Ct.
                  Gainesville, VA 20155

                  If you are interested, I would be willing to let you have the
                  modern armor video and the Russian "Heavy Metal Thunder" video together
                  for 35 dollars total. That would cover everything.....Two DVDs and
                  postage and handling. Hey, its the season. Normally, at shows...like
                  the Battle of the Buldge event in Indiantown Gap, PA...I sell the tapes
                  and DVDs for an even 20 bucks. Makes it simple. So this would be like
                  getting the Modern title for 20 dollars and the Russian
                  video...featuring T-55, T-72, PT-76, BMP-1 and T-34-85...for just 15
                  bucks more. If you just want the Modern tape title alone, then 20 bucks
                  will cover it.

                  Cheers,
                  Richard Isner