Re: [G104] Re: Comb on APG's M40 GMC...

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
      At 09:37 24-9-2005 -0400, Joe DeMarco wrote:
      >The method used on Shermans by the Ford operated depots is
      >described in the Chester Depot Directive.
      >The cable was attached to each steering or brake lever, then it was
      >threaded through a pulley on the interior, then out through a wooden plug
      >in the bow mg port, & attached to the locking device, that they called
      >a "pawl." There should be a pulley or something inside vehicles with combs,
      >although, AFAIK, no one has ever posted a photo of the interior fitting(s)
      >on a surviving tank. Have any owners noticed anything like that?

      All I have seen is a rough sketch, but David Herbert recalls seeing a small
      pulley behind the driver inside a Sherman and wondering what on earth that
      was doing there. It would take many years before he found the answer in the
      National Archives in Ottawa, Canada:
      http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/comb.htm