Re: M4A3(75)W and M4A3(105)HVSS pics posted on my site

  • WhiteWolf
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17, 2005
      --- "Chris Hughes" <toadman11@h...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone,
      > I've added more pics of Shermans to my website.
      > They include a M4A3(75) W and a M4A3(105)HVSS.
      > Here are the links:
      >
      > http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m4a375w.htm
      > http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m4a3105.htm
      >
      > Chris "toadman" Hughes

      Chris!

      Tell us thats the M4A3(105)HVSS that the 3rd fought
      to 'liberate' from Iraq. The cupola hatch wouldn't
      close due to penetration of the cupola that deformed
      it, right?

      I'd do a hard-compare of Hanno's pics, but as they
      are in the Photo's section, I can only get small
      images. I ~think~ I recognise a damaged outer-aft
      return roller on the right side, and the left front
      sand shield is AWOL.

      Hanno, can you move the pics over to the Files area
      for a bit? I can pull 'em and put 'em side-by side
      in PhotoPaint for comparison.
    • Bob Steinbrunn
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 18, 2005
        --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hughes" <toadman11@h...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        > I've added more pics of Shermans to my website. They include a M4A3
        (75)
        > W and a M4A3(105)HVSS. Here are the links:
        >
        > http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m4a375w.htm
        >
        > http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m4a3105.htm
        >
        > Enjoy!
        > Chris "toadman" Hughes
        > http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com

        Great photos, Chris. Thanks for sharing!

        --Bob Steinbrunn
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 10, 2005
          --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "WhiteWolf" <whitewolf_mcbride@h...>
          wrote:

          > --- "Chris Hughes" <toadman11@h...> wrote:
          > > Hello everyone,
          > > I've added more pics of Shermans to my website.
          > > They include a M4A3(75) W and a M4A3(105)HVSS.
          > > Here are the links:
          > >
          > > http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m4a375w.htm
          > > http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m4a3105.htm
          > >
          > > Chris "toadman" Hughes
          >
          > Chris!
          >
          > Tell us thats the M4A3(105)HVSS that the 3rd fought
          > to 'liberate' from Iraq. The cupola hatch wouldn't
          > close due to penetration of the cupola that deformed
          > it, right?
          >
          > I'd do a hard-compare of Hanno's pics, but as they
          > are in the Photo's section, I can only get small
          > images. I ~think~ I recognise a damaged outer-aft
          > return roller on the right side, and the left front
          > sand shield is AWOL.
          >
          > Hanno, can you move the pics over to the Files area
          > for a bit? I can pull 'em and put 'em side-by side
          > in PhotoPaint for comparison.

          Does this help?
          http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=797&ppuser=196

        • WhiteWolf
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2005
            --- "Hanno Spoelstra" <HL.Spoelstra@i...> wrote:

            > Does this help?
            > http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=797&ppuser=196
            >
            > Regards,
            > Hanno

            Muchly. (all references to 'types' are MMiR M4 ones)

            Looking at close-ups of the tranny covers, it appears
            that the ASMH Tankland has a more pronounced 'beak',
            and the right-side tow-point footstep that the Iraq
            unit is missing is present on the Tankland, although
            its bent. From the side the Tankland tow points also
            appear to be cut to a sharper angle. I spotted a carved
            'Kilroy was here' on the Iraq M4A3's cover, 'Kilroy' is
            visible above 'Keep' & 'Here' is above the 'off'. There
            doesn't appear to be any 'patches' on the 'Tankland'
            cover, but paint could be covering it.

            The upper glacis is a 6C-4 type (M4A3 105mm late HVSS)
            on both units, but the Tankland unit has the remains of
            its light & horn guards, the Iraq one is missing them.

            There isn't enough resolution on the Tankland sprockets to
            see what type, but I'd guess 1c (Fancy smooth variant) and
            the Iraq ones are definately 1c's.

            The turrets are also very similar, but minor details vary:
            the Iraq unit has its gunsight, but Tankland's is missing;
            Iraq has a MG post forward of the loader's hatch, Tankland
            doesn't, but has an odd post between the gunsight and the
            armored gunner's periscope cover; the Iraq tank has a 'hit'
            from that AP round, Tankland shows no evidence, but has
            some unusual rust marks, as if they were weld-points for
            track link storage mounting points.

            Finally, the medical box on the Iraq unit is mounted a bit
            higher up and much further back than on the Tankland unit.

            Very similar, but I'd say No, not the same tank. Probably
            from the same unit or post-war refit depot.

            > --- "WhiteWolf" <whitewolf_mcbride@h...> wrote:
            >>
            >> --- "Chris Hughes" <toadman11@h...> wrote:
            >>> Hello everyone,
            >>> I've added more pics of Shermans to my website.
            >>> They include a M4A3(75) W and a M4A3(105)HVSS.
            >>> Here are the links:
            >>>
            >>> http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m4a375w.htm
            >>> http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m4a3105.htm
            >>>
            >>> Chris "toadman" Hughes
            >>
            >> Chris!
            >>
            >> Tell us thats the M4A3(105)HVSS that the 3rd fought
            >> to 'liberate' from Iraq. The cupola hatch wouldn't
            >> close due to penetration of the cupola that deformed
            >> it, right?
            >>
            >> Hanno, can you move the pics over to the Files area
            >> for a bit? I can pull 'em and put 'em side-by side
            >> in PhotoPaint for comparison.

          • Chris Hughes
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 10, 2005
              The M4A3(105)HVSS has been at Tankland for several years. If you read the
              top of the page that has the pictures, you'll note that it says that it's a
              former range target from 29 Palms.

              Chris Hughes