Re: use of asbestos in Sherman tanks

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2005
      At 19:25 16-9-2005 -0400, you wrote:
      >My name is Stan Karwowski and my dad was a tank commander, British 8th
      Army, Second Polish Corps. My question is: in the manufacturing process of
      the sherman tank, did they use asbestos?
      >My father was and is a non-smoker and has been diagnosed with lung cancer
      that is a type found with asbestos patients. That is why I am asking the
      question.
      >Thank you for your kind assistance in this matter.

      Dear Stan,

      As far as I can tell, asbestos was not used in great quantities used in the
      manufacturing process of the Sherman tank, other than small quantities for
      use in exhaust seals or similar. I know before WW2, there were various types
      of tanks lined with asbestos on the inside for use in hot climates. But this
      practice was not used on Sherman tanks.

      I will forward this e-mail to the Sherman Register mailing list
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G104), where any of the list members will
      surely correct me if I'm wrong. If any further information surfaces, I will
      forward it to you.

      I wish you and your father the best of luck.

      Best regards,
      Hanno Spoelstra
      http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/