Irish Guards Shermans in Op Goodwood

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2005
      Who can help Colin, please?

      From: Colinsnortv8@...
      Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:24:43 EDT
      Subject: Irish Guards Shermans in Op Goodwood
      To: hl.spoelstra@...

      Dear Hanno, I am building in 1/35 scale the scene of Lt. John Gorman's M4A4
      Sherman 'Ballyraggett' ramming a King Tiger of 503 Pz.Abt. outside Cagny,
      near Caen on July 18th 1944. He rammed the Tiger after his own 75mm gun had
      jammed, then after both crews bailed out, he ran back to take over command
      of Sgt. Workman's 17lb gun Firefly 'Ballymena' to finish off the Tiger, Sgt
      Workman having been killed during the action. Lt. Gorman was awarded the
      Military Cross for his exploits, and is still alive and living in Northern
      Ireland today.I have been in touch with him in the attempt to get
      accurate/detailed information on the matter.I have also tried the Tank
      Museum in Bovington and the Irish Guards Museum as well in the hope of
      assistance but to no avail.
      My main points are;
      1. The War Dept. census code numbers on the hull sides of both the M4A4 and
      the Firefly.In the course of this action the battalion was losing tanks at
      an alarming rate 10-20 a day, and no records were kept,or photographs
      taken.Staying alive was taking priority !
      2. What colour would the inside of the hull/turret/hatches have been painted?
      3. Same question as for the King Tiger.
      I hope that you may be able to aid me in this endeavour, or know someone
      with more information that would be of benefit to me.
      Yours sincerely,
      Colin Patterson.
    • shawn ferguson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
        Have Colin try here:
        www.missing-lynx.com
        There are both Allied and Axis DGs to assist him.
        - Shawn