M4A4T at Omaha Beach Memorial Museum, France

  • wwwpanserdk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2005
      Dont know if this is already known, but serial appears to be #8875 and
      US registration #3019181. The tablet on the tank identifies it as an
      M4A1 that had been used by US troops in 1944..... Not quite as bad as
      the Centaur in Lion-sur-Mer identified as a Churchill Avre - guess they
      forgot to change the plate when replacing the tank?

      Claus B
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2005
        Hi Claus,

        Thanks for the report!

        >Dont know if this is already known, but serial appears to be #8875 and
        >US registration #3019181.

        A friend visited Normandy a few months ago & took some pix of that.
        The corresponding Serial Number to USA 3019181 is 18875, so
        that one obviously still has the original Reg. Number.

        >The tablet on the tank identifies it as an M4A1 that had been
        >used by US troops in 1944.....

        From his pix, it looks like the paint has worn away exposing
        what may be at least some original markings.
        It appears to have a French ID Number - possibly 420126,
        & a name beginning with "Ex..."
        The US supplied the French in North Africa with 274 M4A4s,
        & that was probably one of them.
        I doubt if 18875 served in the Normandy area, since the French
        2nd Armored Division came ashore equipped with M4A2s they
        had brought up from North Africa.
        Perhaps 18875 served with the US 7th Army in Southern France?
        As their old equipment wore out, the French considered
        re-equipping their M4A4s with available Continental Radials,
        & wrote up a whole procedure for it. In the end, it would appear
        that they received newer replacement tanks from their US parent
        organization, & the M4A4 re-engine program was done post war.

        Did you come across any other Shermans/variants?

        Best

        Joe
      • wwwpanserdk
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 28, 2005
          --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DeMarco" <snick1@e...> wrote:

          > Hi Claus,
          >
          > Thanks for the report!
          >
          > A friend visited Normandy a few months ago & took some pix of that.
          > The corresponding Serial Number to USA 3019181 is 18875, so
          > that one obviously still has the original Reg. Number.

          Yes, after looking closer, there does appear to be a one before the
          8875.. :)

          > From his pix, it looks like the paint has worn away exposing
          > what may be at least some original markings.
          > It appears to have a French ID Number - possibly 420126,
          > & a name beginning with "Ex..."

          Theres a star on the turret bustle as well.

          > Did you come across any other Shermans/variants?

          Several, but they've been there since the 1990ies. The exceptions
          were the one at the Omaha Beach museum, an M4A2 at the Leclerc
          monument north of Utah Beach and a Sexton in Vers-sur-Mer. The M4A2
          has been painted to represent a tank from the 2nd French Armoured
          division and had no original markings or serial visible. Like the
          Omaha tank, it has been donated from the Saumur museum. Similar story
          with the Sexton, though as I recall, it came from England via a
          private donation.
          Got a few pics of both if it is of interest.

          Claus B