m-36's on milweb

  • rudygert
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      There are 2 m-36's for sale on milweb located in 610 area code in the
      US....... any have any pictures of these particular tank destroyers?
      The same person is also selling a M-18 helcat and a M-20
    • Combat Vehicles
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
        Actually........only one is a M-36. The other is a very rare M-36B1. The
        M-36 was an original one and was built as such and not converted from a M-10
        although it now is powered by a Russian diesel motor. The M-36B1 has just
        had a rebuilt GAA motor installed.

        The M-36 (and the M-18) were featured on the History Channel show "Mail
        Call" where we drag raced the two to show "the fastest tank of WW
        II"........

        These units are located in Easton, PA

        They are owned by my employer who is thinning his collection. We also have
        a Sexton and a unrestored M-4 composite hull Sherman.

        Jim Gilmore

        There are 2 m-36's for sale on milweb located in 610 area code in the
        US....... any have any pictures of these particular tank destroyers?
        The same person is also selling a M-18 helcat and a M-20
      • Brandon K.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
          601 is the Jackson, Mississippi area.

          There are also M36s available here:

          http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/vehicles.asp?s=Tank Destroyer
          http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/vehicles.asp?s=read_other

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
            hi jim, which model of m-4 are you guys selling? marc

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
              >The M-36 was an original one and was built as such and not
              >converted from a M-10

              The nomenclature of these TDs is very confusing.
              M36s were converted from M10A1s (gas engines).
              M36B2s were converted from M10s (diesel engines).
              A lot of the survivors have been retrofitted with Russian
              diesel engines which tends to confuse things further,
              but you can distinguish an M36 from an M36B2 by the
              different sizes of the grated engine deck doors,
              & the different arrangement of the fuel filler caps.

              Fisher built 300 M36s. These were originally "accepted less
              turret assemblies" as M10A1s in late 1943. They were completed
              with M36 turrets in April thru July, 1944. Because of the early
              mfg. date, these were among the ones that were "redballed"
              to the ETO, first arriving in Sept, 1944, so surviving M36s with
              serial numbers 1 thru 300 have a pretty good chance of having
              a combat history.

              Fisher also put M36 turrets on 187 M4A3 hulls that were pulled
              from their Sherman assembly line. These were the M36B1s,
              completed Oct thru Dec, 1944. Some of these show up in photos
              in the ETO in 1945.
              Unlike ALCO, Massey-Harris, & Montreal Loco, Fisher never
              converted a used M10 series to an M36 series, so in that sense,
              its M36s were "new" vehicles.

              There's an M36B1 at Ft Hood, & there were some recent pix of
              one or two found in Iraq, but it was reported that historic AFVs
              there were scrapped. So indeed, the M36B1 for sale in Easton
              may be the only other example in the world.
              Anyone know of any more?

              Joe
            • combatvehicles2000
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 8, 2005
                --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DeMarco" <snick1@e...> wrote:

                > >The M-36 was an original one and was built as such and not
                > >converted from a M-10
                >
                > The nomenclature of these TDs is very confusing......

                Joe,

                I strive to be accurate.....have I described these two units we
                have for sale correctly? If I remember correctly, our M-36 was built
                as such and not as a M-10?

                > There's an M36B1 at Ft Hood, & there were some recent pix of
                > one or two found in Iraq, but it was reported that historic AFVs
                > there were scrapped. So indeed, the M36B1 for sale in Easton
                > may be the only other example in the world......

                Ours is the only one in private hands that we know of. One of the
                ones found in Iraq has been saved and will be coming back the the US
                to be placed in the Watervilet(?) Arsenal collection.

                Jim Gilmore
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 11, 2005
                  >I strive to be accurate.....have I described these two units we
                  >have for sale correctly? If I remember correctly, our M-36 was built
                  >as such and not as a M-10?

                  Jim, I haven't had the opportunity to see your tanks, but I think the
                  owner contacted a friend requesting the serial & reg. number info.
                  He asked me about it, since his area of expertise is more German.
                  Anyway, the M36 serial number provided was appropriate for a
                  Massey-Harris.
                  I found the government's contract with M-H for their M36s,
                  & it specifically calls for "Remanufacture & Conversion of
                  Gun Motor Carriages, 3", M10A1 into 90mm Gun Motor
                  Carriages, T71."
                  So, if your M36 has a Massey-Harris dataplate, it was converted
                  from an M10A1, most likely rounded up from troops training
                  in the US. The contract actually requests M-H to provide
                  the serial & reg. numbers of the M10A1s converted, so that
                  they could be cancelled. (Wish I had found that list at the Archives.)
                  As a matter of fact, some M36s that have two serial numbers
                  on them - one from the original M10A1 & the "new" one
                  assigned after the M36 conversion.

                  Your M36B1 on the other hand, was built on a new M4A3 hull
                  pulled off Fisher's assembly line.

                  A number of surviving M36s have been found to have the USA
                  Registration Number stamped into various places on the hull.
                  I think this was done during a postwar rebuild at Red River
                  Arsenal. If there's not too much paint, you might find that
                  on yours. In both cases, you'd be looking for an 8 digit number,
                  beginning with 401.....

                  Great to hear that one of the M36B1s found in Iraq was not
                  scrapped & will be coming back the the US!
                  Have you heard if any of the other historic vehicles (like Shermans)
                  in Iraq were saved from the scrapman?