Re: [G104] Digest Number 1480

    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2005
      Hi Mike,

      >Anniston Army Depot was the inspiration for the last scene in "Raiders of
      >the Lost Ark" where the Ark of the Covenant is being stored away in a
      cavernous
      >warehouse.

      Great scene!
      I like the implication that, under those circumstances, no one would ever
      be
      able to find the Ark again
      One of the archivists at NARA II in College Park gave me a behind the
      scenes tour of their facility.
      It's kinda like the movie scene, but well lit & climate controlled.

      >I talked to one of the curators once, and he said that everyday was like
      >Christmas.

      The PAO at Anniston sent the pix of their Shermans that are on Hanno's site.
      I believe she said the curator Mr Cuvillon(sp?), took them.
      He appears on those History Channel shows occassionally.
      He was on one wearing the white gloves, unpacking a crate of rifles that
      hadn't
      been touched since they were made.

      My visit to ANAD was kinda disappointing.
      The contract guard waved us thru the gate, but my friend stopped to ask
      directions (like a girlie man), & the guard noticed his Canadian license
      plates
      & kicked us out. We could see a few Shermans from the gate, outside on
      hill,
      & all we wanted to do with our little Sherman-spotting game was check for
      serial numbers & get a few pix...
      Anyway, hope we'll have a chance to look at some of the Shermans they
      have/had in storage there one of these days - at the WW II Museum.