Re: [G104] Re: M4A4 Tech Manual

  • Ray Merriam
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2005
      If Portrayal Press simply photocopies a manual, anyone can use the material without permission and without acknowledgment to Portrayal. All U.S. government manuals (and almost all U.S. government publications of any kind) are in the public domain. No one can claim copyright to the actual material in any such manual, though they can copyright their production of such a manual if they use material in a different way than it was originally produced - such as if they were to completely re-type the text - in such a case someone else could re-type the text from that version but they could not simply photocopy or scan the pages and print them.

      Years ago there was a publisher called Normount Publications (also known as Desert Publications) that would reprint a lot of military manuals, but in such a way that they looked like new works. He would remove all the obvious references to the fact that they were originally government publications and create new cover and title pages. Sometimes the books would be compilations of material from different sources, while others were just straight reprints of the originals with the changes to hide the fact that they were actually government manuals. He copyrighted these and thus one could not do a facsimile reprint of his production, but could use much of the material in the book as it was mostly copied directly from the original manuals.

      Of course, if you wanted to use photos or tone drawings, it would be best to scan directly from an original manual, while line drawings could be used from even a good photocopy without any siginificant loss of quality. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of this manual.

      Sincerely,

      Ray Merriam
      Owner
      Merriam Press
      218 Beech Street
      Bennington VT 05201 USA

      Phone: 802-447-0313
      E-mail: ray@...
      Web site: http://www.merriam-press.com

      One would be Portrayal Press, but you'd have to ask permission (they
      photocopy manuals).

      Another would be the folks at Aberdeen, they should have something
      there, or point you in the right direction.

    • Bob Smart
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2005
        At 04:15 PM 5/8/2005 -0000, you wrote:
        >One would be Portrayal Press, but you'd have to ask permission (they
        >photocopy manuals).
        >
        >Another would be the folks at Aberdeen, they should have something
        >there, or point you in the right direction.

        I volunteer at Aberdeen, I may be up there in the next few weeks. I'll
        check the Library there. Even if it isn't in the Library there is a big
        room in one of their warehouses with manuals yet to be catalogued

        Bob Smart (bsmart@...)