13 US Armoured Division - 4 July 1943

  • roddy1011
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2005
      Hi to all -

      Have just uploaded 8 pics showing tanks & crews of 13 (US) Armoured
      Division on their parade at Camp Beale, California on 4 July 1943.

      On this parade the 'Black Cat Division' was adopted as 'California's
      Own' with the State Governor christening one of the
      Shermans 'California'.

      According to the div's history, it only served in combat for 16 days
      at the end of the war in Europe, first going into action on 10 April
      1945 at Honnef.

      The Div HQ also had the honour of establishing itself in the house in
      which Hitlaer was born on 2 May 45 !

      I bought these pics two years ago on E-Bay. Any comments ref the vehs
      would be most welcome.

      Enjoy

      Roddy
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 25, 2005
        Hello Roddy,

        I once looked through the13th Armored Division souvenir
        history, & the photos show them training mostly with M4A2s
        & a few M4A4s.
        Thanks for posting the photos.
        They are very small, but it looks like one of the close-up
        shots shows "C8" of the 45th Tank Bn.
        Can you confirm if the USA Registration Number is 3063194?
        Can you read the name painted on the side?
        I think this particular M4A2 was made by Fisher in late 1942,
        right about the time they switched from direct vision to
        their distinctive welded drivers' hoods.
        You might notice that the lifting lugs on some of the tanks are
        mounted in a higher than usual position on the turret.
        This is often seen on the first British Shermans in North Africa.
        Fisher seems to have continued with these "high lug" turrets a little
        longer than the other Sherman builders.

        After the 13th AD shipped out, their M4A2s probably ended up
        being rebuilt & sent to the Brits. or Soviets.

        Camp Beale is now Beale Air Force Base.