M4A2 76mm Sherman (used by the Soviets)

  • longtom2222
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 24, 2005
      I am doing the Dragon model of the M4A2 Soviet Sherman (I abandoned
      the academy kits, which is full of flaws, in disgust.) But I'm
      hoping for more info and pictures on this version. Specifically, I
      thought of doing said Sherman in the invasion of East Prussia, based
      on Otto Skorzeny's account of it, where he says the Soviets invaded
      with Shermans and improved T-34's. German-captured examples are also
      of interest to me. Can anybody help?

      Tom Radigan.
    • marc33594
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 25, 2005
        Two good sources to get you started on the kit, its accuracy and
        markings are:

        www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon6188.htm

        www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/russia/dmlm4a2_fdesisto.com

        For an historical prespective as well as some nice photos try:

        Commanding the Red Army's Sherman Tanks: The World War II Memoirs
        of Hero of the Soviet Union Dmitriy Loza
        Translated and edited by James F Gebhardt
        University of Nebraska Press, 1996

        And, for more on modelling shermans feel free to join us on the
        Yahoo group ShermanTankModeler2

        Marc

        --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "longtom2222" <bigverybadtom@a...>
        wrote:

        > I am doing the Dragon model of the M4A2 Soviet Sherman (I
        abandoned
        > the academy kits, which is full of flaws, in disgust.) But I'm
        > hoping for more info and pictures on this version. Specifically,
        > thought of doing said Sherman in the invasion of East Prussia,
        based
        > on Otto Skorzeny's account of it, where he says the Soviets
        invaded
        > with Shermans and improved T-34's. German-captured examples are
        also
        > of interest to me. Can anybody help?
        >
        > Tom Radigan.
      • marc33594
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 25, 2005
          Sorry, that is "html" and not "com" at end of the missing lynx one

          Marc

          --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "marc33594" <marc33594@y...> wrote:

          > Two good sources to get you started on the kit, its accuracy and
          > markings are:
          >
          > www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon6188.htm
          >
          > www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/russia/dmlm4a2_fdesisto.com
          >
          > For an historical prespective as well as some nice photos try:
          >
          > Commanding the Red Army's Sherman Tanks: The World War II Memoirs
          > of Hero of the Soviet Union Dmitriy Loza
          > Translated and edited by James F Gebhardt
          > University of Nebraska Press, 1996
          >
          > And, for more on modelling shermans feel free to join us on the
          > Yahoo group ShermanTankModeler2
          >
          > Marc
          >

          > --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "longtom2222" <bigverybadtom@a...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I am doing the Dragon model of the M4A2 Soviet Sherman (I
          > abandoned
          > > the academy kits, which is full of flaws, in disgust.) But I'm
          > > hoping for more info and pictures on this version.
          Specifically,
          > > thought of doing said Sherman in the invasion of East Prussia,
          > based
          > > on Otto Skorzeny's account of it, where he says the Soviets
          > invaded
          > > with Shermans and improved T-34's. German-captured examples are
          > also
          > > of interest to me. Can anybody help?
          > >
          > > Tom Radigan.
        • longtom2222
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 25, 2005
            --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "marc33594" <marc33594@y...> wrote:

            > Sorry, that is "html" and not "com" at end of the missing lynx one
            >
            > Marc
            >

            > --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "marc33594" <marc33594@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Two good sources to get you started on the kit, its accuracy and
            > > markings are:
            > >
            > > www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon6188.htm
            > >
            > > www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/russia/dmlm4a2_fdesisto.com

            Sorry, your links didn't work for some reason.
          • marc33594
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 25, 2005
              Try cutting and pasting, just tried them out and both work fine.
              Perth military modelling is a super site by the way and you can just
              log on to it, go to the review section and find that review that way
              as well.

              wrote:

              > --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "marc33594" <marc33594@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Sorry, that is "html" and not "com" at end of the missing lynx
              one

              > > Marc
              > >

              > > --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "marc33594" <marc33594@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Two good sources to get you started on the kit, its accuracy
              and
              > > > markings are:
              > > >
              > > > www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon6188.htm
              > > >
              > > > www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/russia/dmlm4a2_fdesisto.com
              > > >

              > Sorry, your links didn't work for some reason.
            • Ron Guerra
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 25, 2005
                The links appear to have changed slightly. Here's what I think you're
                looking for:

                http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/russia/dmlm4a2_fdesisto.html

                http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon/dr6188.htm

                Can anyone provide photographs of the area under-rear deck area described
                in the Missing Links review?

                --Ron
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 25, 2005
                  I have a cross-section drawing but it shows the configuration after mounting the armored exhaust deflectors. To simulate what's there on the earlier tanks, extend the lower hull plate upwards at the same angle with plastic sheet. Go almost to the underside of the upper hull piece, but don't worry about being exact. Box in the sponsons up to the underside of the upper hull piece, so that the only open area is to the rear of the lower hull plate and between the sponsons. Now make a rectangular box or block from plastic sheet that is the same width as the lower hull (and the opening under the overhang) with a thickness equal to 3/4 the diameter of the muffler. It should be as tall as you can fit while setting it on the lower hull plate extension and leaving a small gap between it and the installed muffler. This box will be your radiators. Put some fine mesh on the rear face and a vertical strip of plastic in the middle. Cut some .005 plastic or brass to the width between the sponsons and wide enough to almost stick back beyond the installed muffler. Bend it up at 45 degrees lengthwise at about 1/4 of the width. Stick this between the muffler and radiators so that the bent part hangs down over the muffler. This is a heat shield for the radiators. It should not extend beyond the muffler nor block the exhaust openings. Check the fit with the exhaust deflector too.

                  Although not exact, this should be purty close.

                  The links appear to have changed slightly. Here's what I think you're
                  looking for:

                  http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/russia/dmlm4a2_fdesisto.html

                  http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon/dr6188.htm

                  Can anyone provide photographs of the area under-rear deck area described
                  in the Missing Links review?

                  --Ron

                  **Please trim your replies**
                  **Do not post in HTML or "Rich Text" mode**
                  **Plain ASCII Text only please**
                  **Attachments will be stripped**

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • jay gerringer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 26, 2005
                    There is a good reference, Illistrations, and photo of
                    M4A2's in Osprey Publishing book #73 M4(76mm Sherman
                    Medium Tank 1943-65, pages c, 37, 38.
                    --- longtom2222 <bigverybadtom@...> wrote:

                    > I am doing the Dragon model of the M4A2 Soviet
                    > Sherman (I abandoned
                    > the academy kits, which is full of flaws, in
                    > disgust.) But I'm
                    > hoping for more info and pictures on this version.
                    > Specifically, I
                    > thought of doing said Sherman in the invasion of
                    > East Prussia, based
                    > on Otto Skorzeny's account of it, where he says the
                    > Soviets invaded
                    > with Shermans and improved T-34's. German-captured
                    > examples are also
                    > of interest to me. Can anybody help?
                    >
                    > Tom Radigan.

                  • longtom2222
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 26, 2005
                      --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, jay gerringer <gysgtg2000@y...> wrote:
                      > There is a good reference, Illistrations, and photo of
                      > M4A2's in Osprey Publishing book #73 M4(76mm Sherman
                      > Medium Tank 1943-65, pages c, 37, 38.

                      Thanks, but I happen to already have that book. I wanted a specific
                      example that actually served in East Prussia, if such is available.
                      A German captured and reused example would also be nice. Anybody?

                      Tom Radigan.
                    • Jim Webster
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 27, 2005
                        jay gerringer wrote:
                        > There is a good reference, Illistrations, and photo of
                        > M4A2's in Osprey Publishing book #73 M4(76mm Sherman
                        > Medium Tank 1943-65, pages c, 37, 38.

                        Theres an interesting rumor floating here that there are 130 'diesel'
                        shermans amongst the stuff that the russians are selling off from their
                        equipment stocks.

                        Unfortunately I have no further information so please do not pester me
                        but if I hear anything I'll let everyone know.

                        --
                        TTFN
                        Jim