RE: [G104] Re: Relocated Sherman

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 16, 2005
      At 09:50 16-1-2005 -0500, Joe DeMarco wrote:
      >The PAO at the Anniston Army Depot once sent pix of some historic tanks
      >they had down there.
      >She said ANAD was a storage/holding facility for the Center for Military
      >History.
      >There was an M4A1, a turretless M3 Medium, an M5 Series Light & a bunch of
      >others.
      >I sent some of the pix to the Sherman Register.
      >They all looked like they needed work, except they had a Grizzly that
      >appeared to be a runner.

      See http://www.geocities.com/shermanregister/anad.htm
      for Joe's pictures.

    • Chris Hughes
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 16, 2005
        I remember trying to get into Anniston back in '91. Of course, no dice. However, I was at visiting Ft. McClellan during the same trip and they had a couple of Shermans there: a M42B1E9 and a POA. I don't remember much about the POA and I can't find the pictures. The M42B1E9 was located at the Chemical Museum along with a M67. The POA was on a street corner or something like that. When I saw the pics of the M42B1E9 at Anniston, my first thought was that was the same one. However, the Chem Museum tank had a 3 piece differential housing.
        Does anyone know what happened to these vehicles when the post was closed down?

        Chris Hughes
        www.toadmanstankpictures.com<http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/>
        At 09:50 16-1-2005 -0500, Joe DeMarco wrote:
        >The PAO at the Anniston Army Depot once sent pix of some historic tanks
        >they had down there.
        >She said ANAD was a storage/holding facility for the Center for Military
        >History.
        >There was an M4A1, a turretless M3 Medium, an M5 Series Light & a bunch of
        >others.
        >I sent some of the pix to the Sherman Register.
        >They all looked like they needed work, except they had a Grizzly that
        >appeared to be a runner.

        See http://www.geocities.com/shermanregister/anad.htm<http://www.geocities.com/shermanregister/anad.htm>
        for Joe's pictures.

        **Please trim your replies**
        **Do not post in HTML or "Rich Text" mode**
        **Plain ASCII Text only please**
        **Attachments will be stripped**

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129350v6p/M=314310.5785087.6831183.5630876/D=groups/S=1705059529:HM/EXP=1105992687/A=2372975/R=0/SIG=11jraf5qk/*http://www.usba.com/ads2/landing_enough.asp?id=11>

      • Combat Vehicles
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 21, 2005
          Russ Morgan wrote,

          ".....Jim, Let me get this right. The government is shooting up WW2 range
          targets
          and then buying back privately owned collector pieces with taxpayer money?
          Any idea the final sales price the taxpayers spent? ......"

          Russ....the sale of this tank was part of an estate sale from a collector
          in PA. Frank Buck handled the sale of this unit and several other armored
          vehicle for the estate. The monies paid for this tank will be donated to
          charity as the owner stated in his will.

          If you know anything about what the military must go through to "restore"
          a vehicle you will know why they purchased this one instead of jumping
          through all the hoops that would be required to find, transport, repair,
          restore, and pay all the high prices that the components to do this would
          cost.

          Just ask them over at Aberdeen Proving Ground what they have to go through
          with all the environmental laws, paint disposal, regulations and all the BS
          that comes with doing things on a Govt. installation!

          It would have taken years of work and much more money to find a range
          target and restore it than to simply buy this one and put it on display.

          And.......a good charity would not have gotten the money.

          Jim Gilmore