Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: More on Kuwait Tank

Expand Messages
  • WhiteWolf
    ... Um, Hanno, Image 6 ain t the same tank. Biggest difference: #6 is an VVSS unit, the other ones are all HVSS. #1 & #2 are the first shots, showing the
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      --- "Hanno Spoelstra" <HL.Spoelstra@i...> wrote:
      > --- "Russell Baggerly" <rebaggs@h...> wrote:
      >> Not sure about photo section not working.
      >> I checked the link you provided, about 4th ID
      >> capture, and that ain't this one. I sent two
      >> digitals to Hanno way back when someone first
      >> made me aware of a Sherman sitting out in the
      >> Kuwait Desert.
      >>
      >> Think he posted those to that rollup page of
      >> pictures that is listed by country. This one
      >> is tan, lacks it's left tread, and has a blast
      >> mark on the RR of the turret.
      >>
      >> Anyway, the same tank showed up here just the
      >> other day, and now it's gone. I've got a guy
      >> looking in port for it.

      > Russ,
      >
      > I posted your (and other´s) pictures:
      > Photos / M4A3(105) HVSS in Iraq
      >
      > Please let us know if you are able to retrace
      > this Sherman.

      Um, Hanno, Image 6 ain't the same tank. Biggest
      difference: #6 is an VVSS unit, the other ones
      are all HVSS.

      #1 & #2 are the first shots, showing the single
      airborne? penetrator of the turret, with left
      track off and one right roadwheel off.

      #3, #4 & #5 show a later images of the same tank,
      but track & roadwheel have been removed, and the
      tank is marked "Keep off, R/C" (recover?)

      But considering the probable source, the two are
      ~very~ similar otherwise...

      WhiteWolf
    • Hanno Spoelstra
      ... WhiteWolf, you re right: picture #1 & 2 show an M4A3 (105) HVSS Sherman recovered in Iraq by the 3rd Infantry Division, September 2003. These pictures were
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "WhiteWolf" <whitewolf_mcbride@h...>
        wrote:
        > Um, Hanno, Image 6 ain't the same tank. Biggest
        > difference: #6 is an VVSS unit, the other ones
        > are all HVSS.
        >
        > #1 & #2 are the first shots, showing the single
        > airborne? penetrator of the turret, with left
        > track off and one right roadwheel off.
        >
        > #3, #4 & #5 show a later images of the same tank,
        > but track & roadwheel have been removed, and the
        > tank is marked "Keep off, R/C" (recover?)

        WhiteWolf, you're right: picture #1 & 2 show an M4A3 (105) HVSS
        Sherman recovered in Iraq by the 3rd Infantry Division, September
        2003. These pictures were sent to me my David R. Olsen.
        Pictures #3, 4 and 5 show the very same M4A3(105) HVSS in Northern
        Kuwait, February 2004, where it was photographed by Russell Baggerly.

        Picture #6 was posted by Mark Reboy, who found this Sherman at the
        base in Taji Iraq (North of Baghdad) and posted this photo of him on
        it (ref. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G104/message/4826).

        I have altered the location of the pictures. #6 is now in the folder:
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G104 > Photos > Shermans in Iraq;
        #1 through 5 are in:
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G104 > Photos > Shermans in Iraq > M4A3
        (105) HVSS in Iraq

        Regards,
        Hanno
      • Russell Baggerly
        It s now in the back corner of the motor pool on the camp here. Will try for fresh pix tomorrow. Russ
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
        • 0 Attachment
          It's now in the back corner of the motor pool on the camp here.

          Will try for fresh pix tomorrow.

          Russ

          >From: "WhiteWolf" <whitewolf_mcbride@...>
          >Reply-To: G104@yahoogroups.com
          >To: G104@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [G104] Re: More on Kuwait Tank
          >Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 04:14:56 -0000
          >
          >
          >--- "Hanno Spoelstra" <HL.Spoelstra@i...> wrote:
          > > --- "Russell Baggerly" <rebaggs@h...> wrote:
          > >> Not sure about photo section not working.
          > >> I checked the link you provided, about 4th ID
          > >> capture, and that ain't this one. I sent two
          > >> digitals to Hanno way back when someone first
          > >> made me aware of a Sherman sitting out in the
          > >> Kuwait Desert.
          > >>
          > >> Think he posted those to that rollup page of
          > >> pictures that is listed by country. This one
          > >> is tan, lacks it's left tread, and has a blast
          > >> mark on the RR of the turret.
          > >>
          > >> Anyway, the same tank showed up here just the
          > >> other day, and now it's gone. I've got a guy
          > >> looking in port for it.
          >
          > > Russ,
          > >
          > > I posted your (and other�s) pictures:
          > > Photos / M4A3(105) HVSS in Iraq
          > >
          > > Please let us know if you are able to retrace
          > > this Sherman.
          >
          >Um, Hanno, Image 6 ain't the same tank. Biggest
          >difference: #6 is an VVSS unit, the other ones
          >are all HVSS.
          >
          >#1 & #2 are the first shots, showing the single
          >airborne? penetrator of the turret, with left
          >track off and one right roadwheel off.
          >
          >#3, #4 & #5 show a later images of the same tank,
          >but track & roadwheel have been removed, and the
          >tank is marked "Keep off, R/C" (recover?)
          >
          >But considering the probable source, the two are
          >~very~ similar otherwise...
          >
          >WhiteWolf
          >
          >
          >
        • Hanno Spoelstra
          ... Russ, that would be great! Thanks, Hanno
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2004
          • 0 Attachment
            At 07:12 1-12-2004 -0800, Russell Baggerly wrote:
            >It's now in the back corner of the motor pool on the camp here.
            >Will try for fresh pix tomorrow.

            Russ, that would be great!

            Thanks,
            Hanno
          • Hanno Spoelstra
            ... Russell told me Still don t know where it s headed, but here s a more recent view . His picture can be found in: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G104
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 17, 2004
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Russell Baggerly" <rebaggs@h...> wrote:
              > It's now in the back corner of the motor pool on the camp here.
              > Will try for fresh pix tomorrow.

              Russell told me "Still don't know where it's headed, but here's a
              more recent view". His picture can be found in:
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G104 > Photos > Shermans in Iraq > M4A3
              (105) HVSS in Iraq

              Regards,
              Hanno
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.