Re: [G104] Final drive Housing

  • rrunnersb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
      Re accepted/ no

      Re build date: All roadwheels are dated May 45 except one which is April 45

      Jim

      Keep up the good work.
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 18, 2004
        Hi Jim

        >Of all the manufactures it seems to me the least publicity during the War
        >was for the Pressed Steelcar Co.

        Pressed Steel Car wasn't even one of the companies originally
        considered for the tank program. John MacEnulty, their president,
        must have been a good salesman, since he convinced the British to
        refurb an abandoned plant in south Chicago & start building Grants there.
        They must have done it right, since they were the only RR company
        to continue manufacturing Shermans right up to the end of WW II.
        I'm almost positive that the first tank they made is the Grant
        currently on display at Bovington.
        The absolutely last Sherman produced rolled off the line at
        PSC in July, 1945. Maybe it'll turn up somewhere?

        I don't think any of the tank builders got, or wanted,
        a lot of publicity. There was a great concern for security.
        In a book about the history of Lima Locomotive, it's mentioned that
        "The "Tank Arsenal" consisted of a 125,000 square foot addition to the
        rear of the existing Shovel & Crane Shop...It was off-limits to all but
        people assigned there and was the most secret part of the firm's
        operations."
        I was at the Pa. RR Museum looking through the Baldwin Locomotive
        mags from the war years. There was hardly a hint that they had anything
        to do with building tanks.

        >The American Steel foundry, does it still exsist in any form?

        Yes. It's now ASF-Keystone. Notice they still use the same octagon logo.
        They have three manufacturing locations - "a cast steel foundry in Granite
        City, Illinois; a hot wound coil spring manufacturing facility in Hammond,
        Indiana, and an end of car parts facility in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania."

        http://www.asf-usa.com/story.htm

        Perhaps they are still doing some defense work?

        There is an article about "hillbilly armor" in the current issue of
        Newsweek. It talks about APG, applique armor kits, materiel
        priority conflicts, lighter, faster vs heavier, slower,
        & Congressonal investigations.
        Some of the same subjects that came up during WW II.

        Joe
      • Kees Huyser
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2004
          On 18 Dec, 2004, at 15:25, Joe DeMarco wrote:
          > There is an article about "hillbilly armor" in the current issue of
          > Newsweek. It talks about APG, applique armor kits, materiel

          The article is online at:
          http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6700920/site/newsweek/

          --kees