looking for Firefly Interior info, Drawings, Pictures etc. etc.

  • alex_vandewetering
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2004
      Hi Guys,

      Again I have to ask you for help with my Firefly Scale-model. Because
      I am building my Dragon Firefly Vc (the old model, not the new
      updated kit) with the turret hatches and drivers hatch open, I had to
      build part of an interior in it. When constructing the interior I
      started to enjoy it and decided to build a full, instead of a part,
      interior in the fighting compartment and turret.
      But I still lack some information. I have allready "filled" most of
      the left-side sponson, front part of the right side sponson, drivers
      position, the firewall and most of the floor, but I am looking for
      information on the layout of the floor, right side sponson, and ammo-
      storage behind (and next to) the driver, the Turret cage and the
      general ammo storage.

      I allready have 5 interior sketches from Mark Haywards book, the
      Technical Manual of the Sherman M4A4 and some interior-pictures, from
      the following sites:
      http://tankfreak.tripod.com/id2.html
      http://www.kmk-scaleworld.be/WalkAround/M4a4/index.html

      But some parts are still uncertain to me, for instance:
      Was the escape hatch in the hull bottom omitted?
      Was there ammo storage on top of the battery?
      Where exactly and how many cartridges could be found in the Firefly?

      You can see, I am desperately looking for good interior-info of the
      firefly Vc

      Can someone help me? Maybe some interior-pictures of a restored
      Firefly???

      Bye, Alex van de Wetering
    • Walter Jacque
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2004
        Alex,

        Have you tried afvinteriors.com? I believe I have seen an article there on the Firefly, you might want to check it out.

[...]

        **Please trim your replies**
        **Do not post in HTML or "Rich Text" mode**
        **Plain ASCII Text only please**
        **Attachments will be stripped**

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • john johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14, 2004
          Hello Alex,
          Osprey-Vanguard #15 The Sherman Tank in British Service 1942-1945 ISBN 0 85045 3615 has color interior drawings of a Sherman Vc Firefly interior on drawing pages E, F and G. Although this book is long out of print (published in 1982), a copy might be obtainable somewhere. The drawings in the book are in color and might be of great use to you in building a Sherman Vc interior. The drawings feature views of the left and right front turret, left and right turret sides and both the drivers position and ammunition stowage where the assistant drivers position would have been in a standard Sherman tank. By the way, most interior details in a Firefly tank would have been similar to a standard Sherman with the major detail exception being the ammunition stowage due to the larger size Firefly rounds!
          Good luck aand best regards on your project!
          John Johnson
          Mountain View, CA USA

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 17, 2004
            Hi Alex

            You seem to be attempting to build a model to very exacting standards.
            If you live in Europe, your best bet might be to try to find a Vc that
            you can get inside & examine.

            FWIW, David Fletcher took some interior shots of the Sherman Vc
            at Bovington, that appear in his Firefly book published by Darlington.

            >But some parts are still uncertain to me, for instance:
            >Was the escape hatch in the hull bottom omitted?

            In the US Firefly conversion procedure docs, it is mentioned
            that the escape hatch was to be "welded shut."

            >Was there ammo storage on top of the battery?

            If you refer to the "interior left hand front hull & sponson" drawing
            found in Mark Hayward's book, the "case, striker" is attached
            to a bin that held the "vehicle batteries." You can see that an M6
            periscope, smoke bombs & other stuff were stowed on top of the bin.

            >Where exactly and how many cartridges could be found in the Firefly?

            Mark has all that info on page 40. He states the Ready Bin in the co-driver's
            position held 15 rounds, but with only 9 rounds stored, the driver could
            pass them up from the interior of the tank; with 15 rounds, they had to
            be passed up to the turret through the co-driver's hatch. Thus, depending
            on the stowage in this bin, the Vc could hold hold either 78 or 72 rounds.
            (Mark's ammo stowage table appears to have a small math error, since it
            lists 78 or 69 rounds.) He also mentions that there were subtle changes
            to the ammo stowage during the production run.

            HTH,

            Joe DeMarco
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 17, 2004
              >Was the escape hatch in the hull bottom omitted?

              In the US Firefly conversion procedure docs, it is mentioned
              that the escape hatch was to be "welded shut."

              Any idea why, Joe? A real or perceived weakness to mines?

              KL
            • cislakm4a1
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 17, 2004
                > >Was the escape hatch in the hull bottom omitted?
                >
                > In the US Firefly conversion procedure docs, it is mentioned
                > that the escape hatch was to be "welded shut."
                >
                > Any idea why, Joe? A real or perceived weakness to mines?
                >
                > KL
                Escape hatch in hull was covered by one of armoured ammuntion boxes.
                (with 20 17pdr rounds stowed vertically).
                Witek