Re: [G104] Japanese shermans

  • jimweb@endgame.demon.co.uk
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2004
      Hanno Spoelstra wrote:

      > 3) SD: M32A1B3 TRV as armoured engineering vehicle w/bulldozer.
      >
      > 4) Trials vehicle for the Type 67 Armoured Engineer Vehicle; Sherman M4A3E8
      > with dozer blade at the front of the hull and a small crane.

      I suspect these are the same vehicle

      > 5) SG: M4A3 with HVSS with M48(-style) folding bridge (prototype for SB
      > Bridge-layer on Type 67 tank)
      >
      > 6) Trials vehicle for the Type 67 Armoured Vehicle Launched Bridge (based on
      > Type 61 MBT); Sherman M4A3E8 with its turret removed and replaced by a
      > scissors bridge.

      Same again!

      Did you get the two images Hanno?

      --
      TTFN
      Jim
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2004
        > Here's the information I have on Japanese Shermans:
        >
        > 1) M4A3(76)W HVSS Shermans were used from after WW-II until the
        JGSDF was
        > equipped with the first post-war Japanese designed and built Type 61
        > (numbers in service unknown).
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Hanno

        Thanks a million, Hanno. Knowing the type will help me a lot. I
        hesitate to mention this, but the only photographic information I
        have been able to find on these tanks is from watching 1957's The
        Mysterians, where they are featured in several battles. This is a
        great movie, by the way, one of the first Japanese monster movies. In
        addition to numerous shots of terrible plastic Sherman models being
        melted by alien invaders, there are also a few stock footage clips of
        real live Japanese Shermans on maneuvers. They appear to be HVSS with
        the 76 gun, but the bad film quality makes any accurate
        identification difficult. This has been the only film of them I can
        locate. Any idea if any of these tanks are still around? Do the
        Japanese put old vehicles in storage or scrap them? Thanks again,
        nathan
      • Joseph DeMarco
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16, 2004
          Hi Nathan

          >Any idea if any of these tanks are still around?

          A few years ago, someone posted some walk-around photos
          on a webpage of an M32B1 & M4A3(76)HVSS on display at
          "Fuji Gakkou," the Armor School of JGSDF.

          Do you live in Japan, Nathan? I would be interested to know
          about any other surviving Shermans/variants there. Also if there
          are any on display on Okinawa, perhaps as monuments?

          The US Army Signal Corps collection at NARA II, College Park, Md.
          has a few pix of these types being turned over to the JGSDF at Camp Fiji
          in late1954. IIRC, there were also some parade shots of M4A3(76)HVSS's
          in Japanese service around 1956.

          Joe DeMarco
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 16, 2004
            At 15:14 14-7-2004 -0000, Nathan wrote:
            >Thanks a million, Hanno. Knowing the type will help me a lot.

            >Any idea if any of these tanks are still around?

            Nathan, thanks for asking - because of it, Jim sent me two pictures which I
            will put up on the site as soon as possible.
            I think I have pictures of some preserved Shermans in Japan somewhere, will
            look them up and scan them.