Re: Tire date code

  • boompole
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
      While I can not be certain of the dates, I'm pretty certain that
      Firestone produced tires for the M4 during the war years. I seem to
      recall seeing a M4 suspension somewhere in the old world
      headquarters (here in Akron) back when I was a kid...

      Keith Pomeraning

      > Speaking of tires, do you have any info about which firms produced
      tires
      > during WWII? I have seen pictures of Goodyear, BF Goodrich, U.S.
      Tire,
      > Dayton Rubber Manufacturing, and Monarch, but do not know if all
      of these
      > produced tires during the 1942-1945 period.
      >
      > Mike Canaday
    • Joseph DeMarco
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
        Hi Mike & Keith,

        Yeah, there are plenty of surviving Shermans with tires with the stylized
        Firestone logo. One guy posted a photo in Army Motors of one
        of the tires on his halftrack. It had "Firestoe" on there - no "n."
        A knockoff?

        I'm not familiar with the name, but some HVSS have idlers with
        "BARR" on them.

        >The Goodyear tires I observed on the HVSS at Rock Island had a 9-44 date on them.

        That's probably original to that M4A3(76), since it was built in October, 44.
        The date on the sidewall of a HVSS US Tire is in the format "APR 45."

        Most of the tires appear to be "bald" with a seam in the middle,
        but there were some VVSS ones that had groves running crosswise,
        & I think I've seen a few with lengthwise grooves as well.

        I was wondering if the open spoked VVSS bogie wheels may have been
        industrial, off the shelf items?
        There were some nostalgia photos in the newspaper of some now abandoned
        Bethlehem Shipyard buildings in Baltimore.
        In one shot there was some kind of hand truck for moving large items.
        The wheels looked exactly like the ones on VVSS Shermans.