Re: [G104] Tire date code

  • Mike Canaday
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2004
      I haven't been able to look at any tires since I discovered this info.
      After furthur inspection of the drawing, I doubt that you would actually be
      able to see the code since it is on the inside surface of the rim and will
      more than likely be covered by the wheel. I have noticed that the tire
      manufacturers molded the date into the side on some tires. The Goodyear
      tires I observed on the HVSS at Rock Island had a 9-44 date on them.

      Speaking of tires, do you have any info about which firms produced tires
      during WWII? I have seen pictures of Goodyear, BF Goodrich, U.S. Tire,
      Dayton Rubber Manufacturing, and Monarch, but do not know if all of these
      produced tires during the 1942-1945 period.

      Mike Canaday

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
        While I can not be certain of the dates, I'm pretty certain that
        Firestone produced tires for the M4 during the war years. I seem to
        recall seeing a M4 suspension somewhere in the old world
        headquarters (here in Akron) back when I was a kid...

        Keith Pomeraning

        > Speaking of tires, do you have any info about which firms produced
        tires
        > during WWII? I have seen pictures of Goodyear, BF Goodrich, U.S.
        Tire,
        > Dayton Rubber Manufacturing, and Monarch, but do not know if all
        of these
        > produced tires during the 1942-1945 period.
        >
        > Mike Canaday
      • Joseph DeMarco
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
          Hi Mike & Keith,

          Yeah, there are plenty of surviving Shermans with tires with the stylized
          Firestone logo. One guy posted a photo in Army Motors of one
          of the tires on his halftrack. It had "Firestoe" on there - no "n."
          A knockoff?

          I'm not familiar with the name, but some HVSS have idlers with
          "BARR" on them.

          >The Goodyear tires I observed on the HVSS at Rock Island had a 9-44 date on them.

          That's probably original to that M4A3(76), since it was built in October, 44.
          The date on the sidewall of a HVSS US Tire is in the format "APR 45."

          Most of the tires appear to be "bald" with a seam in the middle,
          but there were some VVSS ones that had groves running crosswise,
          & I think I've seen a few with lengthwise grooves as well.

          I was wondering if the open spoked VVSS bogie wheels may have been
          industrial, off the shelf items?
          There were some nostalgia photos in the newspaper of some now abandoned
          Bethlehem Shipyard buildings in Baltimore.
          In one shot there was some kind of hand truck for moving large items.
          The wheels looked exactly like the ones on VVSS Shermans.