Re: [G104] Tire date code

    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2004
      Mike:

      Have you been able to decipher any tires? There is/was a similar requirement for pneumatic tires but I have only found one tire that used the mandated codes. The others appear to have reverted to the individual factory's lot or code which probably provides the same data but in an unreadable form.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2004
        I haven't been able to look at any tires since I discovered this info.
        After furthur inspection of the drawing, I doubt that you would actually be
        able to see the code since it is on the inside surface of the rim and will
        more than likely be covered by the wheel. I have noticed that the tire
        manufacturers molded the date into the side on some tires. The Goodyear
        tires I observed on the HVSS at Rock Island had a 9-44 date on them.

        Speaking of tires, do you have any info about which firms produced tires
        during WWII? I have seen pictures of Goodyear, BF Goodrich, U.S. Tire,
        Dayton Rubber Manufacturing, and Monarch, but do not know if all of these
        produced tires during the 1942-1945 period.

        Mike Canaday

        > Have you been able to decipher any tires? There is/was a similar
        requirement for pneumatic tires but I have only found one tire that used the
        mandated codes. The others appear to have reverted to the individual
        factory's lot or code which probably provides the same data but in an
        unreadable form.

        > KL

        Service.

        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        > **Please trim your replies**
        > **Do not post in HTML or "Rich Text" mode**
        > **Plain ASCII Text only please**
        > **Attachments will be stripped**
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • boompole
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
          While I can not be certain of the dates, I'm pretty certain that
          Firestone produced tires for the M4 during the war years. I seem to
          recall seeing a M4 suspension somewhere in the old world
          headquarters (here in Akron) back when I was a kid...

          Keith Pomeraning

          > Speaking of tires, do you have any info about which firms produced
          tires
          > during WWII? I have seen pictures of Goodyear, BF Goodrich, U.S.
          Tire,
          > Dayton Rubber Manufacturing, and Monarch, but do not know if all
          of these
          > produced tires during the 1942-1945 period.
          >
          > Mike Canaday
        • Joseph DeMarco
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
            Hi Mike & Keith,

            Yeah, there are plenty of surviving Shermans with tires with the stylized
            Firestone logo. One guy posted a photo in Army Motors of one
            of the tires on his halftrack. It had "Firestoe" on there - no "n."
            A knockoff?

            I'm not familiar with the name, but some HVSS have idlers with
            "BARR" on them.

            >The Goodyear tires I observed on the HVSS at Rock Island had a 9-44 date on them.

            That's probably original to that M4A3(76), since it was built in October, 44.
            The date on the sidewall of a HVSS US Tire is in the format "APR 45."

            Most of the tires appear to be "bald" with a seam in the middle,
            but there were some VVSS ones that had groves running crosswise,
            & I think I've seen a few with lengthwise grooves as well.

            I was wondering if the open spoked VVSS bogie wheels may have been
            industrial, off the shelf items?
            There were some nostalgia photos in the newspaper of some now abandoned
            Bethlehem Shipyard buildings in Baltimore.
            In one shot there was some kind of hand truck for moving large items.
            The wheels looked exactly like the ones on VVSS Shermans.