M4 trailer extension-hitch

  • WhiteWolf
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2004
      Someone on Track-Link asked about a special
      trailer extension that was apparently fitted
      to the M4's rear tow points to allow it to
      pull the M8 and M10 trailers without having
      it bind-up in a turn.

      www.track-link.net/forum/research_ww2/7408

      Anyone have good pics of this assembly?

      It would make a great addition to my 1/16 RC
      Sherman for when I make a trailer.

      Yet another project I may never get to.

      WhiteWolf
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2004
        >Someone on Track-Link asked about a special
        >trailer extension that was apparently fitted
        >to the M4's rear tow points to allow it to
        >pull the M8 and M10 trailers without having
        >it bind-up in a turn.

        This was not an extension but an adapter to allow vehicles without towing
        pintles to pull trailers through the rear tow lugs. It was actually part of
        the M8 armored ammunition trailer. It could be used on anything, but I
        believe the prime user was the M8 75mm HMC.

        KL
      • WhiteWolf
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2004
          >> Someone on Track-Link asked about a special
          >> trailer extension that was apparently fitted
          >> to the M4's rear tow points to allow it to
          >> pull the M8 and M10 trailers without having
          >> it bind-up in a turn.
          >
          > This was not an extension but an adapter to
          > allow vehicles without towing pintles to pull
          > trailers through the rear tow lugs. It was
          > actually part of the M8 armored ammunition
          > trailer. It could be used on anything, but I
          > believe the prime user was the M8 75mm HMC.

          Ah... any good pics of the devices? (with or
          without trailer?)

          I ask as this device would be perfect for towing
          with an M4 as well, what with the pintel being
          recessed between the idlers, and under the transom
          overhang...

          WhiteWolf
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2004
            Wolf:

            I'll send you some via email if I can find them. Note though that the pintle hitch was specifically added (by order and by MWO) to M4s in order to allow ammo trailer towing. I would not expect a "pintled" tank to use one of these because 1) Why add something extra to accomplish something your vehicle can already do quite simply, 2) To use this properly a bracket had to be welded to the rear upper hull to hold it up. Otherwise hitching was difficult because the adapter would drop down and you'd need two guys to lift it up while crouching under the rear overhang. (It weighed 150-200 lbs., IIRC.), 3) The rear blanket roll shelf pretty much took up all the available space to weld on the bracket, 4) If the third support was added it would have to be unhooked and the adapter dropped to raise the exhaust deflectors or open the rear engine doors, and 5) There were a limited number of these, probably one for each M8 trailer (it was issued with the trailer) plus 10% spares. M7 and M8 HMCs got most of the trailers, so I'd expect them to also have most adapters. I doubt you'd have these passed out freely for tank crews.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 6, 2004
              Ah... simple little thing, aint it? I see
              where it would need the support bracket
              to hold it up (or drag on the ground)

              Someone sent me an image of what looks
              like an extender post for the Sherman
              pintle hook, that stood it off a fair bit
              from the lower hull position.

              Looks like I've gotta make some parts, as
              the 1/16 one has neither rear-lower tow
              brackets or pintle hook. Mebbe I can see
              if someone has a spare Pershing sprue to
              pinch its pintle (assumes it was the same)

              WhiteWolf