Re: [G104] Global [Sherman Tanks] Positioning System

  • Joseph DeMarco
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6 3:59 PM
      Hi André

      >This is the kind of tank-spotting website that I always dreamt of:

      >"TANKS FOR THE MEMORIES - A Global search for military mechanized vehicles on display!"

      http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=18037&log=y

      Fantastic! Glad your dream came true.
      It's been my "dream" to locate & visit all the Shermans/variants
      throughout the US & Canada, as kind of a travel hobby.
      Over the years, I've met about 10 people who are interested
      in Sherman-spotting, world-wide.
      Of course, it's not possible for such a small group to search the planet,
      but here we have Mom, Dad, Buddy, Sis, even the dog! driving around
      spotting AFVs of all kinds. :-)
      Many thanks to "Pulaski" & "Tulip" for coming up with the idea
      of tanks as search objects!

      The pix are nice to help eliminate "false positives."
      I figured there were about 600 Shermans/variants around in the US/Canada, but
      with the "new" ones these folks have found, I'm thinking it might be more like 700...

      >M4A3(75) in Shawano, WI

      Robert Buettner, I was not aware of this one in Wisconsin.
      Looks like another Ford-built M4A3.

      >M7[B1] in Gurnsey, WY

      Russ Morgan, this would be different from the Priest you said was at
      Warren AFB near Cheyenne?

      >M4(105) w/ HVSS in Burt County, NE:

      This is an M4A3(105)HVSS in the town of Tekamah.
      Bill Miley could only read the first digit of the serial number - 5.
      I think this would have to be 57xxx or 58xxx.

      M7B2 Priest in Tullahoma, TN

      The USA Reg. Number on this - 40233533 - may be authentic.
      It's the highest number I've ever seen on a Priest, but there were a couple
      pix of M7B2s - 40232698 & 40232708 - in the 1956 3rd AD at Fort Knox Yearbook.
      I've never been able to crack the serial/reg.number code on these Priests with the high
      R/Ns. Have you had any luck with that, Kurt?

      One of the geocachers included a shot of an M60 at an NG Post in Vineland, NJ
      & stated there was some other armor there.
      That would include an M4A3(75)W VVSS, S/N 49730.
      (National Guard Armory 2560 S. Delsea Dr)

      Hope some folks from Maine & Alaska will report in.

      Joe
    • Russ Morgan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6 7:10 PM
        Joe, M7?B1? is at Cheyenne, Gurnsey is many miles East and I have never
        been there. Sounds like two different ones. Russ